Experts in favour of Khwaja and Harris in Oz Ashes squadOctober 17th, 2010 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Oct 17 (ANI): New South Wales batsman Usman Khawaja and Queensland fast bowler Ryan Harris should be picked in the Australian squad for the Ashes series, according to experts.
Asked to name a 13-man outift with the best chance of winning the Ashes, which start in Brisbane on November 25, analysts and former Test players Mark Waugh, Greg Blewett and Brendon Julian all included Harris.
“I’d definitely have Ryan Harris in the XI for Brisbane if he’s available. I like the combination of three right-arm bowlers with one left-armer [Mitchell Johnson],” Julian said.
“Nathan Hauritz should carry the drinks in the first Test and, if the bowlers can get the job done up there, I’d be hesitant to make any swift changes. We have to be aggressive and pick the bowlers who give us the best opportunity to win matches,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Julian, as saying.
Blewett picked Harris for Brisbane also at the expense of off-spinner Hauritz.
“Hauritz will play a big role in the series, but I’d go with Harris in Brisbane if he is fit. You need to look at who is going to get the wickets for you and I don’t think Hauritz will put too much fear into England on a track like the Gabba,” Blewett said.
Khawaja, who last week scored 214 against South Australia, got the nod from Waugh, Damien Fleming and leading Australian women’s player Lisa Sthalekar.
Former Victorian captain Darren Berry picked Khawaja at No.4, as well as Redbacks batsman Callum Ferguson.
Waugh said it was time to bring in “new blood”. He picked Khawaja for Mike Hussey but retained Marcus North because of his bowling. (ANI)
- Blewett expects huge summer from Ponting as captain - Oct 15, 2010
- Oz selectors have put middle order on notice, says ex-player Julian - Nov 15, 2010
- Oz selectors announce provisional 17-man Ashes squad for Gabba Test - Nov 15, 2010
- Krejza should be recalled for Ashes: Mark Waugh - Nov 14, 2010
- Border backs besieged Hussey, North to lift their game - Nov 17, 2010
- Johnson dropped from Australian XI for second Ashes Test? - Dec 01, 2010
- Harris could be a huge Ashes asset, says Steve Waugh - Nov 09, 2010
- Mark Waugh says teams have worked out "one-dimensional" Johnson - Nov 30, 2010
- Clarke to lead Australia in fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Dumped Hauritz rewarded for astounding domestic performance in December - Jan 15, 2011
- Martyn slams Bollinger's axing for Ashes opener against England - Nov 24, 2010
- Australia recall Hilfenhaus, Cowan set for Test debut against India - Dec 21, 2011
- Australia field four debutants against New Zealand - Nov 26, 2011
- Katich ready to take on England - Oct 26, 2010
- Khawaja will challenge Ponting for no 3 slot, says Waugh - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,