Expect charming athletes at London Olympics: Chinese dailyJuly 27th, 2012 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 27 (IANS) The attention will be focussed on good-looking athletes at the London Olympics, said a state-run Chinese daily Friday.
An article “What to expect at London Olympics: Charming athletes” in the People’s Daily opinion section says that attention will be on good-looking athletes. “During sporting events, good-looking athletes are always the focus of attention of media outlets and spectators.”
It cited the example of Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova and described her as “undoubtedly one of the most dazzling female athletes in the world”.
In 2006, Sports Illustrated named “the tall blonde as one of the sexiest women on the planet. After winning the French Open women’s singles’ championship in June, Sharapova became the 10th woman in tennis history to win all four Grand Slam titles”.
Calling Australian swimmer Stephanie Rice as “the world’s most beautiful swimmer”, the daily said that she dominated the women’s mixed swimming events at the Beijing Olympics. She took home three gold medals and broke two world records in Beijing in 2008.
“In addition to the impressive achievements, Rice also has a beautiful appearance. The jet-black hair, straight nose, and charming eyes make her look like a sexy and attractive Roman woman. In the run-up to the London Olympics, Rice said that she was calm and ready to compete,” it added.
Citing yet another example, the daily said that German table tennis player Tim Boll is the leading figure in table tennis in Europe.
“Boll’s maturity and gentle temperament has won him many female fans. During the London Olympics, Boll will work with Dimitrij Ovtcharov and other teammates to win more medals,” it said.
Around 11,000 athletes will participate in 26 sports at the London Olympics that are being held from July 27 to Aug 12.
- Olympics: Germany beat Hong Kong for table tennis bronze - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China forces into the men's team final - Aug 07, 2012
- Top seed Zhang Jike advances to table tennis final - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China's Zhang Jike wins gold - Aug 03, 2012
- China usual favourites at World TT Championships - Mar 23, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China secures another gold - Aug 02, 2012
- China reign supreme at World TT - Apr 02, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- China wary of Germany in table tennis - Mar 27, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese paddler Zhang says first match crucial - Jul 27, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Olympic medals attest to China's progress, says daily - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: australian swimmer, beijing olympics, female athletes, female fans, gentle temperament, german table, gold medals, grand slam titles, impressive achievements, london olympics, maria sharapova, open women, roman woman, sexiest women on the planet, stephanie rice, straight nose, table tennis player, tennis history, tennis star, tim boll