Exhibition at Royal Opera House telling stories behind the OlympicsJuly 28th, 2012 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) Behind the great spectacle of the Olympic Games lie many a human tale of personal triumph and inspirational achievements — and the Royal Opera House and the Olympic Museum have come together to tell those stories through an exhibition which started here Saturday.
The exhibition titled “The Olympic Journey: The Story of the Games” will be staged at the Royal Opera House for the duration of the Olympic Games and is part of the London 2012 Festival, organisers said.
It showcases some of the incredible artefacts and images from The Olympic Museum in Lausanne and tells the story of the Olympic Games from its creation in 776 BC through to the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The inspirational sojourn starts in ancient Greece, the original home of the Olympic Games and culminates with talking about revival of the Games through the efforts of Pierre de Coubertin — revered as the ‘father of the modern Olympic Games’.
The Olympic Museum in Lausanne, Switzerland houses permanent and temporary exhibits relating to sport and the Olympic movement. With more than 10,000 pieces, the museum is the largest archive of Olympic Games in the world.
The exhibition free and open to all, will exhibit personal stories of 16 great Olympians including iconic American athlete Jesse Owens and hockey legend and India’s own Balbir Singh.
The exhibition will also feature all of the Olympic medals and Torches of the modern Games.
The stories of the representative 16 athletes are told through interviews, historic footage, photographs and artefacts. Each story tells of human strength and endeavour, of passion, determination, hard work and achievement.
- Athens and two modern Olympic Games - Jul 18, 2012
- Designer outfits for Filipino Olympians at London - Jun 20, 2012
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- Medals don't determine honour or dishonour: China Daily - Aug 02, 2012
- Outrage over sexualized footage of female athletes - Aug 10, 2012
- Chinese director to stage opera for London Olympics - Mar 01, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- 12-week-long festival to herald in London Olympics - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympics of superstitions (Olympic diary) - Jul 30, 2012
- Nagaland announces award for Swuro - Jul 31, 2012
- Aslam Sher Khan elected president of Olympian Association - Dec 13, 2011
- Medals for London Olympics unveiled - Jul 28, 2011
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- London Olympics motto 'Inspire a generation' unveiled - Apr 18, 2012
- Olympic rings launched on Thames - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympic games, american athlete, ancient greece, balbir singh, festival organisers, great olympians, hockey legend, human strength, jesse owens, lausanne switzerland, london 2012 olympic games, modern games, modern olympic games, olympic games, olympic journey, olympic medals, olympic movement, olympic museum, personal triumph, royal opera house