Ex-Stamford Bridge boss Grant says Chelsea should retain DrogbaMay 14th, 2009 - 1:35 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 14 (ANI): Former Stamford Bridge boss Avram Grant believes that Chelsea must hold on to Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba rather than offload him this summer because of his temper tantrums.
Hit man Drogba lost the plot after the Blues crashed out of the Champions League against Barcelona last week.
“He’s one of the best strikers in the world and belongs to Chelsea. When I went there they told me about Drogba and he was excellent when he wasn’t injured. After the Barcelona game, he apologized straight afterwards. Sometimes you need to understand people - even when you don’t agree with their behaviour,” The Sun quoted Grant, as saying.Grant, out of work since being sacked by Blues’ billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, revealed he has been offered at least one chance of returning to the English top flight - probably with Portsmouth.
He said: “It’s no secret that I love the Premier League. I have a few options and the Premier League is certainly one of them.”
Grant, in London to attend the Soccerex conference at Wembley, said he was still upset at being shown the door by Chelsea at the end of last season.
He said: “I have said it once and I’ll say it again - every month we got better and better and then reached the Champions League final for the first time in Chelsea’s history. Of course I wanted to stay. I felt very disappointed because I had a long-term plan and there was unfinished business.” (ANI)
- Won't play for another English club: Drogba - May 23, 2012
- Drogba confirms Chelsea exit - May 22, 2012
- Ancelotti wants Torres to play for Chelsea - May 14, 2010
- I am ready for Chelsea debut: Oscar - Aug 18, 2012
- Lampard hails Drogba for Chelsea's historic win - May 20, 2012
- Barca look to avenge defeat at Stamford Bridge - Apr 23, 2012
- Barca look to avenge Stamford Bridge defeat at Nou Camp (Lead, superseeding previous story) - Apr 23, 2012
- Chelsea stun Barcelona at home in Champions League - Apr 19, 2012
- Drogba signs with Chelsea again for 100,000 pounds per week - Aug 05, 2009
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Winning Premier League more important than Golden Boot: Drogba - Mar 26, 2010
- Chelsea will win next game against Manchester United: Ancelotti - Dec 13, 2010
- Chelsea reach Champions League quarters after thrilling win - Mar 15, 2012
- 'Chelsea finding bad spell hard to live with', says Drogba - Feb 09, 2011
- Grant is tipped to claim another giant FA Cup scalp - Apr 13, 2010
Tags: avram grant, billionaire owner, boss, champions league, didier, game, ivory coast, london, owner roman abramovich, portsmouth, premier league, stamford bridge, striker, strikers, sun, temper tantrums, top flight, unfinished business