Ex-players blast PCB for dumping Younis for England tourJune 22nd, 2010 - 2:20 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, June 22(ANI): Former Pakistani cricketers have expressed anger over former captain Younis Khan’s exclusion from the 17-man Test squad bound for England.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has given no reason for excluding 33-year-old Younis despite his indefinite ban for disciplinary offences having being overturned.
Former chief selector Iqbal Qasim said Younis was being punished for challenging his indefinite ban.
“I feel Younis has been victimized. He fought his case and was outspoken against the treatment and was dropped,” The News quoted Qasim, as saying.
Former batsman Basit Ali slammed the move, and said: “It’s the height of injustice to Younis.”
Meanwhile, former captain Rashid Latif said that, along with Younis, fast bowler Mohammad Sami and batsmen Faisal Iqbal and Khurrum Manzoor also deserved a place in the squad.
“I respect the selection, but four players - Younis, Sami, Iqbal and Manzoor - deserved places in the team,” Latif said.
Pakistan will play two T20 internationals and a couple of Test matches against Australia, and would then face the hosts England in four Tests, two T20 and five one-day games during the three-month long tour which will end on September 22.
Squad: (Twenty20): Shahid Afridi (capt), Salman Butt (vice capt), Shahzaib Hasan, Umar Akmal, Shoaib Malik, Umar Amin, Kamran Akmal, Abdul Razzaq, Mohammad Amir, Umar Gul, Saeed Ajmal, Shoaib Akhtar, Abdul Rehman, Wahab Riaz, Fawad Alam
Squad: (Tests): Shahid Afridi (capt), Salman Butt (vice capt), Imran Farhat, Yasir Hameed, Azhar Ali, Umar Amin, Umar Akmal, Shoaib Malik, Kamran Akmal, Zulqarnain Haider, Umar Gul, Mohammad Asif, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Amir, Tanveer Ahmed, Saeed Ajmal, Danish Kaneria. (ANI)
- Younis ignored for Pak teams for England tour - Jun 21, 2010
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Former Pakistan players hail selection of Younis, Malik - May 26, 2010
- Banned Younis, Malik and ageing Akhtar in PCB's list of 35 probables for Asia Cup - May 26, 2010
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Misbah dropped from New Zealand series - Oct 22, 2009
- Afridi, Akmal not in new PCB contracts - Aug 08, 2011
- Pakistan announce World Cup squad without a captain - Jan 18, 2011
- Malik axed from Pakistan's Asia Cup side; Jamshed, Sarfraz recalled - Mar 03, 2012
- End of road looms for Misbah after axe from all three squads - Oct 23, 2009
- Pakistan selectors retain Shoaib Malik for Sri Lanka series - Oct 03, 2011
- PCB snubs Afridi by ignoring Younis for ODI series against England - Aug 25, 2010
- Pakistan include Akmal in probables for Twenty20 World Cup - Feb 26, 2010
- 'Recuperating' Tanvir dropped from Pak squad for South Africa Test series - Nov 05, 2010
- Younus Khan likely to join 'scandal-hit' Pak team for England ODIs - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: abdul razzaq, azhar ali, faisal iqbal, gul mohammad, imran farhat, kamran akmal, man test, manzoor, mohammad asif, mohammad sami, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistani cricketers, rashid latif, shahid afridi, shoaib malik, test squad, umar gul, yasir hameed, zulqarnain haider