Ex-Oz FM Downer calls for improved ties with IndiaNovember 11th, 2010 - 4:18 pm ICT by ANI
Adelaide (Australia), Nov.11 (ANI): Former Australian foreign minister Alexander Downer has said his country’s ties with India need to improve; even as bilateral relations with China are the strongest in the Western world.
“Where we have succeeded with China, Australia has so far failed with that other emerging behemoth, India,” Downer said while delivering the 36th annual Essington Lewis Memorial Lecture here on Thursday night.
“It hasn’t worked for one very good reason - as the smaller country, we haven’t had enough to offer India to escape its indifference towards us,” The Age quoted Downer, as saying.
Downer, who was foreign minister from 1996 to 2007 in the Howard coalition government, said Australia needed to tap into the potential opportunities resource diplomacy offered to build relationships and to become central to global economic events.
Uranium mining and climate change were two such areas where Australia could potentially make an impact, he said.
India also had an aggressive nuclear power program, which could benefit from uranium trade, Downer said.
Australia needed to address these issues, particularly with the possibility of competition increasing from Africa, Central Asia and Latin America, as the demand and price of raw materials remained high, he added.
China, he said, needed Australia’s materials to help support its growth, while Australia was equally dependent on China for economic success.
He, however, warned that an over reliance on natural resources for prosperity may create huge risks for Australia’s future.
The annual lecture is named in honour of one of the founding fathers of the Australian resources sector, former BHP chief executive and chairman Essington Lewis. (ANI)
- Oz govt. must agree to sell uranium to India for civilian use: Ex-diplomat to India - Jan 21, 2011
- Aussie media lobbies for uranium for India - Oct 29, 2011
- China develops technology to solve uranium shortage - Jan 04, 2011
- Australian mining giant squirms at India's slow growth - May 18, 2012
- Australian ruling party votes for uranium sale to India - Dec 04, 2011
- Australia looking for investors in infrastructure sector - Apr 23, 2010
- Obama denies asking Australia to sell uranium to India - Nov 16, 2011
- Australian minister denies secret uranium talks with India - Oct 14, 2011
- South Australia beckons Indian investors - Aug 02, 2011
- Pakistan not to get Australian uranium: Envoy - May 18, 2012
- Australia in secret uranium talks with India - Feb 10, 2011
- Ties with major powers to help India tackle China: Saran (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Shangri La Dialogue: 'Anodyne' Antony belied expectations (Comment) - Jun 08, 2012
- Australia keen to expand trading base in India - Jun 01, 2012
- Indian must reduce dependence on agriculture: Australian study - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: adelaide australia, africa central, alexander downer, australian resources, behemoth, bilateral relations, central asia, china australia, climate change, economic events, economic success, foreign minister alexander downer, founding fathers, howard coalition government, indifference, latin america, memorial lecture, nuclear power program, oz fm, uranium mining