Ex-F1 champs back ‘mentally tough’ Webber to win world titleNovember 11th, 2010 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Nov 11 (ANI): Red Bull driver Mark Webber has the mental toughness to lift the world title in Abu Dhabi on Sunday night, according to former Formula One champions.
Australia’s two F1 champions, Sir Jack Brabham and Alan Jones, both believe Webber can beat current leader Fernando Alonso and teammate Sebastian Vettel to lift the crown.
“He’s got the right attitude. He’s going to go and do it. I’ve spoken to him on the phone a couple of times and he’s very fired up. I hope he makes it. It will be fantastic for Australia if he does,” Brabham said.
Jones also believes Webber has the edge in a scrap. “I think he’s better mentally attuned to a challenge,” Fox Sports quoted him, as saying.
“In all honesty, if there are any mind games or mental tests, it’s in Mark’s favour. He’s come up the hard way. The others, to some degree, have got a silver spoon in their mouths. They will be more likely to throw a tantrum,” Jones said.
Jones further said Webber needs to forget about the championship and concentrate on winning the race.
“He’s just got to treat it like another grand prix. He cannot go in preoccupied with the championship. I used to take one race at a time,” he said.
Brabham wants luck to be on Webber’s side. “He will need a little bit of luck with it. Basically, he’s got to win the race to be sure of it,” he said. (ANI)
- Webber has blown chances of first F1 championship title: Sir Jack Brabham - Oct 29, 2010
- Don't want any favours from Vettel and Red Bull, says Webber - Oct 29, 2011
- McLaren must bounce back in Germany: Prost - Jul 16, 2012
- Button backs Vettel to succeed him as F1's new king - Oct 12, 2010
- Vettel wins Singapore GP, Force India record season's best result - Sep 25, 2011
- Alonso wins British Grand Prix, Force India draw blank - Jul 10, 2011
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
- German GP: Alonso cruises to season's third win - Jul 22, 2012
- Red Bull's Vettel wins Australian Grand Prix - Mar 27, 2011
- Vettel wins a near perfect race, Sutil finishes ninth (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
- Webber secures elusive win in Brazil, Force India end season on a high - Nov 28, 2011
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Webber natches British Grand Prix win from Alonso - Jul 08, 2012
- Vettel not giving up yet on F1 championship title chance - Oct 28, 2010
- Canadian GP: Hamilton 7th different winner in 2012 - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: abu dhabi, f1 champions, favour, fernando alonso, formula one, fox sports, honesty, jack brabham, little bit of luck, mark webber, mental tests, mental toughness, mind games, mouths, red bull, silver spoon, sir jack brabham, tantrum, teammate, winning the race