Ex-England star Gough slams ‘pathetic’ dumping of PietersenSeptember 2nd, 2010 - 6:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep.2 (ANI): Former England fast bowler Darren Gough has described the dropping of batsman Kevin Pietersen as “absolutely pathetic”, saying England stand no chance of defending the Ashes without him in the squad.
The former South African was axed from England’s one-day and Twenty20 sides on Tuesday after a foul-mouthed tirade on Twitter.
Pietersen has had an awful run with the bat during the northern summer, but Gough believed selectors should have shown more faith in him before the opening Ashes Test in Brisbane starts on November 25.
“He’s England’s best one-day player and what better way for him to get back into form than to go out against Pakistan and belt it,” The Sun quoted Gough, as telling the UK radio station TalkSport.
“It’s absolutely pathetic that you can drop the man who was player of the tournament at the World Twenty20 earlier this year,” he added.
Pietersen is likely to be named in the Ashes touring party.
“If they don’t take him to the Ashes, we might as well just give Australia the urn,” Gough said.
Pietersen is likely to be disciplined for his indiscretion by the England and Wales Cricket Board. (ANI)
- After Pietersen, Mascarenhas involved in Twitter rant against ECB - Sep 06, 2010
- Coach Flower rejects Warne's Pietersen is a outcast claim - Nov 22, 2010
- Pietersen to feature in World T20 as commentator - Aug 24, 2012
- Flower confident that KP will part of England Ashes squad - Sep 19, 2010
- Panesar, Tremlett recalled in England's 16-man squad for Ashes - Sep 24, 2010
- ECB suspends Mascarenhas for 14 days for 'foul' Tweet - Sep 16, 2010
- Trott accused of foul-mouthing kids in Ireland - Aug 28, 2011
- Pietersen, Swann leading campaign to stop players being banned from Twitter - Aug 25, 2010
- Sport superstars take aim at flood - Jan 13, 2011
- Pietersen asked to be careful about his tweets - Dec 11, 2010
- England's best team can beat India every day of the week: Darren Gough - Dec 30, 2010
- Pietersen to ECB: Let me play full IPL or else... - Aug 08, 2012
- Collingwood, Prior dropped from England squad - Jun 21, 2011
- Gough backs Tremlett to replace injured Broad for Perth Test - Dec 10, 2010
- Warne wants legends cricket match to raise money for Queensland flood victims - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: ashes test, australia, brisbane, england and wales, england and wales cricket board, england star, faith, indiscretion, kevin pietersen, london, pakistan, radio station talksport, selectors, sun, tirade, twenty20, uk radio, urn, wales cricket board