Ex-BCCI official, wife, son booked for forging son’s birth certificateDecember 25th, 2010 - 1:46 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 25 (IANS) In a late development Friday, the police here booked a former vice president of the Board of Cricket Control of India (BCCI) and his family members for forging his son’s birth certificate so he could play for the state in under-15 category.The main accused Dayanand Narvekar is currently the president of the Goa Cricket Association (GCA), a former deputy chief minister and a sitting Congress legislator from Aldona.
“Narvekar, his wife, Sushma, son Ganeshraj and Ravindra Chodankar (Narvekar’s relative) have been named as accused in the complaint filed at the Mapusa police station,” a senior police official said.
“The complaint was filed one and a half month back and has now been registered under sections 420 (cheating), 471 (forgery) and section 120 (criminal conspiracy) of Indian Penal Code,” the official said.
The official said that according to the complaint filed by one Shekhar Salkar, Ganeshraj had played for Goa from 2005 to 2007, for the south zone in the under-15 category, but was “allowed” to play in the third year, after forging the certificate and changing his name from Ganeshraj to Anish — which was his nickname - and changing his age.
“The complainant has provided both birth certificates, which he claimed had been sourced under the right to information act,” the official said.
“The original certificate says that the boy’s birthdate is Feb 28, 1993, while the forged certificate shows his birthday as Sep 1, 1993,” he added.
Yet another forged document, which the police are tracking down, is a forged birth certificate issued by a hospital owned by Narvekar’s kin Ravindra Chodankar.
– Indo Asian News Service
- Cricket board officials covered up forgery: GCA member - Dec 25, 2010
- Goa cricket chief fined, faces FIR for forgery (Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- Goa cricket body expels former head's son for six years - Jun 25, 2012
- Whistleblower blames Goa government of victimisation - Apr 15, 2011
- Goa whistle-blower on cricket nepotism alleges victimisation - Dec 30, 2010
- Goa Congress candidate being probed for model code violation - Jan 09, 2012
- Congress candidate to be booked for giving away cricket kits - Jan 23, 2012
- Now GCA president Narvekar accused of rigging pitch in Ranji match - Nov 17, 2011
- 'Goa home minister mute spectator to police-drug nexus' - Dec 28, 2010
- Goa cricket officials interfering in U-19 selection: Coach - Dec 07, 2011
- Goa officer files complaint against RTI activist - Aug 25, 2012
- Indian Army chief to retire in just over 8 months: Antony - Sep 07, 2011
- Saddened by trends, Goa Congress legislator to 'take a nap' - Mar 06, 2012
- Goa cricket chief evasive over match-fixing angle - Nov 09, 2011
- Kin, activists claim police beat NRI chef to death - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: aldona, anish, asian news, birth certificate, birth certificates, complainant, cricket association, cricket control, criminal conspiracy, deputy chief minister, forgery, former vice president, india bcci, indian penal code, legislator, police official, ravindra, right to information act, snb, south zone