Evans wins slam dunk, Love shoots down three-point contestFebruary 26th, 2012 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Orlando (Florida), Feb 26 (IANS) Utah’s Jeremy Evans won the Slam Dunk Contest at the National Basketball Association’s (NBA) All-Star Saturday night with a support of 29 percent text message votes from three million fans. Timberwolves’ power forward Kevin Love beat Oklahoma City star Kevin Durant to win the 3-Point Shootout in a 17-14 tie-breaker.
Evans, who got into the competition as a replacement for injured New York guard Iman Shumpert, earned the win over Houston’s Chase Budinger, Indiana’s Paul George and Minnesota’s Derrick Williams.
Evans dunked with a camera on his head, dunked two basketballs while jumping over a seated assistant and then donned a Karl Malone jersey while dunking over mailman-dressed comedian Kevin Hart, Xinhua reported.
This year’s contest lasted three rounds, but the four participants had only two minutes per round to complete a single dunk.
This was the first year that fans had total control of voting, a major change from past competitions.
San Antonio point guard Tony Parker then won the Skills Competition. Park’s time of 32.8 in the final run on the obstacle course was better than Boston’s Rajon Rondo (34.6) and New Jersey’s Deron Williams (41.4), who needed five attempts to bury the top of key shot.
Team New York had the touch from the outside and won the Shooting Stars event. Former Knicks star Allan Houston nailed his third attempt at a half-court shot to give his team consisting of current Knicks guard Landry Fields and Cappie Pondexter of the WNBA’s New York Liberty the victory.
- US picks 12-man basketball squad for Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- NBA suspends Celtics guard Rondo for two games - Feb 21, 2012
- Uzoh records Raptors' first triple double in 11 years - Apr 27, 2012
- Deron Williams scores a career record of 57 points - Mar 05, 2012
- Russia pound Britain 95-75 in Olympic basketball - Jul 30, 2012
- Spain, Argentina bring high hopes to Olympic basketball - Jul 28, 2012
- Jeremy stars in Knicks' win over Kings - Feb 16, 2012
- Kevin Love, Michael Beasley Impress With Their Stunning Performance - Nov 14, 2010
- Kobe Bryant gifts Ranbir Kapoor his favourite sneakers - Jan 27, 2010
- Danielle Staub fuels lesbian fling rumours - Jul 03, 2010
- Ranbir Kapoor plays ball with NBA team - Jan 29, 2010
- Knicks beat Pacers - Mar 17, 2012
- US basketball professionals train Myanmar players - Aug 28, 2012
- Trail Blazers fire coach McMillan - Mar 16, 2012
- Chris Paul No More Interested To Point Guard New Orleans Hornets - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: allan houston, chase budinger, competition park, deron williams, derrick williams, florida feb, iman shumpert, jeremy evans, karl malone jersey, kevin hart, national basketball association, nba all star, new york liberty, obstacle course, point contest, point shootout, pondexter, rajon rondo, skills competition, slam dunk contest