European Challenge Tour to debut in India with Kensville ChallengeDecember 13th, 2010 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) The European Challenge Tour makes a historic first visit to India with the inaugural Gujarat Kensville Challenge Golf tournament from January 13-16.The 200,000 euro event, the first tournament on the 2011 Challenge Tour Schedule, will be co-sanctioned with the Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI) and staged at the Kensville Golf Club near Ahmedabad.
The 7,250 yards (6,631 metres), par-72 parkland course, which opened in 2007, was co-designed by three-time European Tour champion Jeev Milkha Singh.
The field will be 114 players, with 60 from the Challenge Tour and the remaining 54 from PGTI.
Padamjit Sandhu, director of PGTI, said: “The growth and consolidation of professional golf in India is opening up strong and exciting opportunities for partnerships with international Tours. The Gujarat Kensville Challenge will help create a great platform for Indian professionals to compete against the best players from the European Challenge Tour. We thank the sponsors and the European Challenge Tour for their partnership with the PGTI, and we look forward to some very exciting golf in Ahmedabad.”
Sameer Sinha, managing director of Kensville Golf Course, said: “We are delighted to host the 2011 Gujarat Kensville Challenge. I believe that, with this event, golf has truly arrived in style in our state of Gujarat. We hope this event will be the first of many at Kensville in the coming years. I would like to extend a personal welcome to all Challenge Tour players from across the world, and promise to deliver a great tournament at Kensville, in keeping with India’s famous hospitality.”
The event, which will be played for at least the next three years, sees the Challenge Tour fall into line with the European Tour, which first staged an event in India in February 2008, when Kolkata boy Shiv Shankar Prasad Chowrasia won the EMAAR-MGF Indian Masters at Delhi Golf Club.
- Amit Dube wins Gujarat Kensville qualifier; Bajaj, Bhasin also make it - Jan 04, 2012
- Indians start favourites at Gujarat Kensville Golf Challenge - Jan 25, 2012
- Shiv Kapur hopes to gain from Jeev's tips at Kensville Challenge - Jan 13, 2012
- Moneywise it will be a tough year for golf: Jeev - Jan 03, 2012
- Indians start as strong challengers in Avantha Masters - Feb 17, 2011
- Puravankara takes Bangalore for Louis Philippe golf - Nov 09, 2011
- Ten teams confirmed for Louis Philippe golf - Feb 22, 2012
- Indians start as strong challengers in Avantha Masters - Feb 16, 2011
- Panasonic Open (India) launches $300,00 golf event on Asian Tour - Mar 22, 2011
- My main goal is to stay fit: Jeev Milkha Singh - Jan 03, 2012
- Strong Indian line-up for DLF Masters Golf - Sep 15, 2010
- Avantha Masters to make debut on Asian and European Tour - Dec 22, 2009
- Avantha Masters to highlight PGTI Tour, Feeder Tour also introduced - Jan 04, 2010
- Rs.1.25 crore prize money year-ending PGTI Championship at RCGC - Apr 12, 2012
- PGTI Masters event to carry a prize purse of Rs.8 mn - Nov 30, 2009
Tags: challenge golf tournament, challenge tour, emaar mgf, exciting golf, golf club, golf course, hospitality, indian masters, indian professionals, jeev milkha singh, managing director, New Delhi, parkland course, partnerships, personal welcome, pgti, professional golf tour, sameer, state of gujarat, tour champion