European, Asian stars vie for top honours at Women’s Indian OpenFebruary 20th, 2009 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Feb 20 (IANS) Leading women golfers from Asia and Europe will tee along with India’s best in the DLF Women’s Indian Open starting at the DLF Golf and Country Club here Wednesday.
The third edition of India’ only Ladies Asian Golf Tour (LAGT) event will tee-off with the pro-am Tuesday while the three day main event will be played from Wednesday. The tournament offers $120,000 in prize purse. The format of the event will witness the cut being applied after two days with the top 50 golfers plus ties making it to the final round.
The international challenge will be led by defending champion, Thailand’s Pornanong Phatlum who skyrocketed to fame last year when she recorded back-to-back triumphs at the Thailand Ladies Open and the DLF Women’s Indian Open. She finished the season at second position on the Money List with earnings of $43,620.
The Indian challenge will be led by Smriti Mehra. She was the first ever Indian to qualify for the prestigious Ladies PGA Tour way back in 1998. Last season, despite undergoing a major surgery, the stocky golfer went on to finish a creditable seventh on the LAGT Money List with prize money earnings of $23,208.
“I am keenly looking forward to competing at the DLF Women’s Indian Open,” said Smriti. “I won’t be able to rest in peace after I retire if I don’t win the Indian Open. A win at her National Open is one that any golfer would want under her belt and I am going for nothing short of gold this time,” she added.
Besides Smriti, there will be some serious challenge coming from the likes of Nalini Singh, Saania Sharma, Pallavi Jain and Sharmila Nicollette.
- Women's Indian Open Golf from Wednesday - Feb 23, 2009
- Lee-Anne all geared up for Women's Indian Open golf - Nov 10, 2010
- Hedwall wins Women's Indian Open golf, Sharmila top Indian - Dec 11, 2011
- Laura Davies takes the lead in Indian Open Golf - Nov 11, 2010
- Lee-Ann, Laura Davies and Phatlum clash in Women's Indian Open - Nov 01, 2010
- Smriti makes cut in Thailand golf - Feb 10, 2011
- Lee-Ann ready for battle at Women's Indian Open golf - Oct 30, 2010
- Five Indian women at European Tour qualifiers - Jan 07, 2012
- Lee-Ann paces herself for Indian Open golf with Suzhou title - Oct 31, 2010
- Subcontinental stars gear up for Women's Indian Open golf - Nov 07, 2010
- Smriti, Sharmila star draw in Hero Honda women's golf - Feb 01, 2011
- Simi, youngsters take on foreign challenge at DLF Women's Open - Feb 24, 2009
- Sharmila tied 43rd, Smriti 56th in Sanya Open Golf - Oct 22, 2010
- Indian golfers hope to maintain success story at Panasonic Open - Mar 28, 2011
- Laura Davies leads Europe's top-3 at Women's Indian Open - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: asia and europe, asian golf, asian stars, defending champion, dlf golf, golf and country club, golf tour, gurgaon, indian challenge, international challenge, leading women, major surgery, mehra, money earnings, nalini singh, pallavi jain, prize purse, sharmila, thailand ladies, women golfers