Euro exit bitter pill to swallow: Poland’s outgoing coachJune 17th, 2012 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Wroclaw, June 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Poland’s Euro 2012 exit after their 0-1 defeat to the Czech Republic is a “bitter pill to swallow” for the co-hosts, outgoing coach Franciszek Smuda has said.
Petr Jiracek’s 72nd-minute strike put paid to Poland’s campaign in brutal style Saturday, making for something of an anti-climax in the country where hopes were high of a quarterfinal berth.
It was a disappointing finish to the tournament for Poland after two opening draws set up the chance to progress to the knockout stage with three points against the Czechs.
“We have to swallow this bitter pill,” said Smuda, who resigned after loss the Czechs. “I think that probably we were too sure about the possibility of winning against the Czech Republic,” he added.
Smuda, 63, praised the Czechs, who were far livelier than the lethargic Poles throughout most of the 90 minutes.
“We had opportunities before half time, we didn’t take advantage of them, and we lost the game,” he said.
Smuda spent more than two years building a team worthy of host status.
“For these 2 1/2 years we have created a team we can count on in the future,” he said.
“They were not perfect, they were not as good as we imagined, but this is football.”
- Czechs beat Poland 1-0 to make quarters - Jun 17, 2012
- Euro 2012: Czechs outpace Greece to earn a 2-1 victory - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat not to make changes for Poland - Jun 12, 2012
- Russia beat Czech Republic 4-1 in Euro 2012 - Jun 09, 2012
- Euro 2012: Czechs stun hosts Poland 1-0, top Group A (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Poland coach urges calm before crucial Euro opener - Jun 08, 2012
- Ronaldo heads Portugal into semifinal, downs Czechs - Jun 22, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia-Greece game will be tough, says Pavlyuchenko - Jun 15, 2012
- Crushing Czechs was easy: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 09, 2012
- Coach Advocaat proud of Russia despite Euro exit - Jun 17, 2012
- Russia feared at Euro 2012: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 08, 2012
- UEFA must punish Russian FA over flare: Polish FA - Jun 11, 2012
- Arshavin crucial to Russia's success, says Advocaat - Jun 09, 2012
- Warsaw pitch average: Russia's Nababkin - Jun 12, 2012
- I expected more from the Poles: Russia's Izmailov - Jun 11, 2012