Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over SwedenJune 16th, 2012 - 4:04 am ICT by IANS
Kiev, June 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Danny Welbeck’s back-flick secured England a dramatic 3-2 win over Sweden in Euro 2012 Group B in Kiev Friday.
The Manchester United striker angled Theo Walcott’s pullback into the corner to hand England three points that take them second in the group behind France, who beat co-hosts Ukraine 2-0 earlier.
The England win puts a spirited Sweden team out of the tournament after their opening 2-1 defeat to Ukraine.
The English need a point against the co-hosts Tuesday to make the quarterfinals.
Andy Carroll put England ahead after 23 minutes, heading a cross in from Liverpool teammate Steven Gerrard to score on his first competitive appearance for his country.
It justified Roy Hodgson’s decision to deploy the 6-feet-3-inches frontman against a Sweden side that shipped two headed goals to Ukraine’s Andriy Shevchenko in the co-hosts’ 2-1 win.
The equaliser came on 49 minutes as Glen Johnson deflected a shot by Olof Mellberg into his own net.
Mellberg did get a goal, however, 10 minutes later, heading in a Sebastian Larsson cross at the back post as the English defence vanished.
But England regrouped and levelled it through Theo Walcott, who found the net from range four minutes after replacing James Milner on the right.
The Arsenal winger laid on Welbeck’s winner on 78 minutes.
France play Sweden in Tuesday’s other game.
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Shevchenko hands Ukraine dream start at Euro 2012 - Jun 12, 2012
- Welbeck on wonder goal: I knew it was coming - Jun 16, 2012
- Mellberg rues cheap goals as Sweden exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Hodgson praises 'clever' Welbeck winner - Jun 16, 2012
- Walcott surprised by his own Roanldo dip - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: England win over Ukraine - Jun 20, 2012
- Time running out for England's Golden Generation: Hodgson - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Sweden coach blames bad luck for defeat to England - Jun 16, 2012
- Set pieces crucial to beating England: Shevchenko - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Rooney to play against Ukraine, says coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Carroll hails 'great' England - Jun 16, 2012
- Ukraine impatient to start Euro campaign: Coach - Jun 11, 2012
- Ukraine 'horror stories' deterred fans, says Hodgson - Jun 20, 2012
- We dared to play great football, says Ibrahimovic - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: andriy shevchenko, english defence, equaliser, euro 2012, flick, four minutes, glen johnson, james milner, kiev, manchester united, olof mellberg, pullback, quarterfinals, ria novosti, roy hodgson, sebastian larsson, steven gerrard, teammate, theo walcott, winger