Euro 2012: UEFA fines Croatia for racismJune 20th, 2012 - 12:21 am ICT by IANS
Gdansk (Poland), June 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) UEFA has fined the Croatian football federation 80,000 euros for racism and using flares during their 1-1 draw with Italy, UEFA said Tuesday.
Croatian fans shouted monkey chants at Italy striker Mario Balotelli and displayed racist banners during Monday’s game, UEFA said.
The fine was issued a day after Denmark and Sunderland striker Nicklas Bendtner was ordered to pay a 100,000 euros fine for an ambush marketing stunt in which he displayed the name of a gambling firm on his underpants.
The size of the fine for Bendtner attracted anger from some in the football world, as it was larger than any fine UEFA had previously levied for racism offences.
“If racism made money for Uefa like advertising does do you think Uefa would take it as serious?? #priorities,” Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand said on Twitter on Monday.
Croatia is the first country to be fined for racism at Euro 2012, although UEFA has said it is investigating alleged incidents involving Russian and Spanish fans.
German fans allegedly displayed banner with neo-Nazi sentiments at their teama’s match with Portugal on Sunday.
“FARE can confirm that one of our observers reported a neo-Nazi banner in the German section,” the Football Against Racism in Europe organisation, which sends two anti-racism observers to each Euro 2012 match, said on Twitter on Tuesday.
UEFA has charged the German Football Union with the “display of inappropriate banners and symbols, and inappropriate chanting”, but did not specify a racist element in a website statement Tuesday.
The case will be heard Saturday.
- Russia, Spain hit with UEFA charges of racism - Jun 26, 2012
- Racial abuse reported against Balotelli at Euro 2012 - Jun 16, 2012
- UEFA fines Russia and Spain over racism - Jun 29, 2012
- Denmark's Bendtner fined and banned for ambush marketing - Jun 19, 2012
- Croatia's football body fined over pro-Nazi chants - Jun 19, 2011
- Euro 2012: UEFA to probe Russian fans behaviour - Jun 10, 2012
- UEFA investigates Russian Euro 2012 fans (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia fined 120,000 euros for crowd trouble - Jun 14, 2012
- 2018 World Cup campaigners express fears over Russian racist attacks - Dec 04, 2010
- Denmark's Bendtner hit with UEFA charge - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012 racism claims nonsense: Russian minister - Jun 10, 2012
- UEFA proceeds English FA over fans' pitch invasion - Jun 17, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- Russian interior ministry confirms fans' arrests - Jun 10, 2012
- Moscow tightens security for Polish embassy - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: ambush marketing, croatian football federation, euro 2012, football against racism in europe, football union, football world, german fans, german football, german section, inappropriate banners, manchester united, neo nazi, nicklas bendtner, racism in europe, ria novosti, rio ferdinand, spanish fans, teama, twitter, uefa