Euro 2012: Russia’s Berezutsky hails Dzagoev’s injury recoveryJune 16th, 2012 - 9:06 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian defender Alexei Berezutsky has praised his teammate Alan Dzagoev’s strong recovery from injury to become one of the in-form players of Euro 2012.
The midfielder has scored three goals at Euro 2012, making him the joint top scorer, despite missing a month at the end of the Russian season with a broken toe.
“I am surprised by the fact that he has regained his form so quickly,” said centre-back Berezutsky.
“Normally it takes more time. He had a serious injury, but quickly recovered and reached the necessary form.”
Berezutsky said he misses his injured identical twin brother Vasily, who usually partners him in the Russia and CSKA Moscow defence, but withdrew from the squad last month with a hip problem.
If Russia beats Greece Saturday, they are assured of a place in the quarterfinals as group winners, while Greece must win to have any hope of progressing.
Dzagoev and the Berezutsky brothers all featured regularly for CSKA last season as the Moscow team finished third in the Russian Premier League and reached the last 16 of the Champions League.
Dzagoev has scored 26 times in his 102 CSKA appearances.
- Russia beat Czech Republic 4-1 in Euro 2012 - Jun 09, 2012
- 'Dangerous' Russia to qualify from group: Hiddink - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russian midfielder Dzagoev asks fans to behave - Jun 16, 2012
- Arshavin crucial to Russia's success, says Advocaat - Jun 09, 2012
- Russia not in peak condition for Euros: Physio - Jun 06, 2012
- Euro 2012: Polish blast blows Group A wide open - Jun 13, 2012
- Ignashevich nervous about club return after Euro failure - Jun 25, 2012
- CSKA coach leaps to Arshavin's defence - Jun 29, 2012
- Crushing Czechs was easy: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 09, 2012
- Arshavin's creativity outweighs low stamina: Russia coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Ex-Russia coach backs liberal foreigners limit - Jul 06, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia's Kokorin out with injury - Jun 15, 2012
- Russia can be world champions in 2018: Platini - Jan 21, 2012
- Money was not motivator, says Ignashevich - Jul 14, 2012
- Rubin extends contract with Sharonov - Aug 19, 2012