Euro 2012: Italy were ‘cleverer’ than Germany, says LoewJune 29th, 2012 - 6:18 am ICT by IANS
Warsaw, June 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Germany coach Joachim Loew said Friday the Italian nous was the difference between the sides in their Euro 2012 semifinal, which was decided by Mario Balotelli’s first-half brace.
Mesut Ozil scored a late consolation penalty to make the final score 2-1, sending Loew’s heavily favoured side crashing out of the competition.
“We have lost a game against an incredibly strong Italy team,” Loew said.
“They have two brilliant strikers,” he said, also referring to Antonio Cassano, who opposite coach Cesare Prandelli said had his best match of the tournament so far.
“They were cleverer than us, they used their chances and took advantage of our mistakes,” Loew said.
He refused to draw any grand conclusions from the defeat, insisting Germany, the youngest side in the tournament, will take their opportunities in the future.
“This is a development of the team, you can’t win the title by just taking about it. For example, it took Spain time to reach success,” he said.
“The team really moved forward in the last two years, we didn’t make it today but there will be chances in the future,” Loew added.
Spain play Italy Sunday in the final in Kiev.
- Euro 2012: Balotelli brace stuns Germans, sends Italy to final - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy coach Prandelli applauds 'unique' Balotelli - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany can't let Italy dictate, says Loew - Jun 28, 2012
- Euro 2012: Buffon hopes for one more shock from Italy - Jul 01, 2012
- Euro 2012: Cassano 'fantastic' despite lack of fitness, says Italy coach - Jun 29, 2012
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Ozil has raised his game at Real: Loew - Jun 08, 2012
- Italy beat England on penalties in Euro Cup - Jun 25, 2012
- Lack of rest killed us against Spain: Italy coach - Jul 02, 2012
- Iniesta named player of Euro 2012 - Jul 02, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy have fitness problems, says coach Prandelli - Jun 15, 2012
- Spain always play the same way: Italy coach - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Cassano and Balotelli send Italy to quarters - Jun 19, 2012
- Light at the end Of the tunnel for matured Balotelli - Jul 02, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy ready for German pressure, says coach Prandelli - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: antonio cassano, balotelli, cesare prandelli, coach, consolation, euro 2012, final score, game, grand conclusions, italy, joachim loew, june 29, kiev, mario, match, mesut, ria novosti, spain, strikers, warsaw