Euro 2012: Italy ready for German pressure, says coach PrandelliJune 28th, 2012 - 2:38 am ICT by IANS
Warsaw, June 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Keeping hold of the ball will negate Germany’s main tactic of pinning Italy back inside their half, Italian coach Cesare Prandelli said ahead of their Euro 2012 semifinal in Warsaw Thursday.
“We are convinced we can play our own game, so we are very calm in this perspective,” Prandelli said.
“The only thing we’ve got at our disposal is that we can keep the ball. If they push us high up the pitch then our only way out is to keep the ball.”
“Tomorrow, Germany will press us very high up the pitch and we need to make sure we keep the ball to counteract this,” he said.
In Andrea Pirlo, Daniele de Rossi and Claudio Marchisio, Italy have the ideal midfield trio - “one of the best midfields in Europe” - to take care of the task against the ruthless Germans, Prandelli said.
“They know where to press, we’ve seen it before in other games at these championships,” he said.
Three-time European champions Germany have won five of their six semifinals at the Euros down the years, but have never beaten 1968 winners Italy in a competitive match.
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Cassano 'fantastic' despite lack of fitness, says Italy coach - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy coach Prandelli applauds 'unique' Balotelli - Jun 29, 2012
- Italy beat England on penalties in Euro Cup - Jun 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Buffon hopes for one more shock from Italy - Jul 01, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy were 'cleverer' than Germany, says Loew - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Pirlo penalty reminds me of Totti, says De Rossi - Jun 25, 2012
- Italy beat Malta 2-0 in World Cup qualifier - Sep 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany can't let Italy dictate, says Loew - Jun 28, 2012
- Euro 2012: Cassano and Balotelli send Italy to quarters - Jun 19, 2012
- Euro 2012: Balotelli brace stuns Germans, sends Italy to final - Jun 29, 2012
- Fabregas grabs 1-1 draw for Spain against Italy - Jun 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: Mandzukic strike help Croatia draw 1-1 with Italy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Germany flatten Greece 4-2 to make Euro semis - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: andrea pirlo, cesare prandelli, claudio marchisio, coach, daniele de rossi, euro 2012, europe, european champions, game, german pressure, germans, germany, italy, match, midfield, perspective, pitch, ria novosti, tactic, warsaw