Euro 2012: Italy coach Prandelli applauds ‘unique’ BalotelliJune 29th, 2012 - 4:55 am ICT by IANS
Warsaw, June 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Italy coach Cesare Prandelli lauded his striker Mario Balotelli as “excellent” and “unique” after his two goals put Italy in the Euro 2012 final with a 2-1 win over Germany.
The 21-year-old Manchester City man showcased his precocious talent with two brute-force strikes in the first half to send his team through.
“Ballotelli was excellent, just like the whole team,” Prandelli said.
“I believe that a team should have an idea and Balotelli really corresponded to this idea. He had a great performance.”
But the player infamous for a questionable temperament showed exemplary discipline when he needed to, Prandelli said.
“Balotelli was in the game, he did exactly what I asked him to do,” the coach said.
“When it comes to Balotelli, I think he is unique. He is strong physically, he can work for the team, but he is also on time, when he is required in the penalty area.”
Italy missed a glut of chances on the counter-attack as Germany pressed forward in search of the equaliser and left holes at the back.
Prandelli insisted “we really deserved a third goal”, but acknowledged his side had nothing left in the final minutes.
“Had they levelled the score, we would have lost 5-2 because we were really exhausted.”
The Italians have just two days’ rest before Sunday’s final against Spain in Kiev.
- Euro 2012: Balotelli brace stuns Germans, sends Italy to final - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Buffon hopes for one more shock from Italy - Jul 01, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy were 'cleverer' than Germany, says Loew - Jun 29, 2012
- Lack of rest killed us against Spain: Italy coach - Jul 02, 2012
- Euro 2012: Cassano 'fantastic' despite lack of fitness, says Italy coach - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy have fitness problems, says coach Prandelli - Jun 15, 2012
- Spain always play the same way: Italy coach - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy ready for German pressure, says coach Prandelli - Jun 28, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany can't let Italy dictate, says Loew - Jun 28, 2012
- Italy wept in changing room, says Buffon - Jul 02, 2012
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Light at the end Of the tunnel for matured Balotelli - Jul 02, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group C Preview: Ireland may decide who survive - Jun 05, 2012
- Euro 2012: Mandzukic strike help Croatia draw 1-1 with Italy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: brute force, cesare prandelli, city man, discipline, euro 2012, glut, holes, italians, italy coach, june 29, kiev, manchester city, mario, old manchester, precocious talent, ria novosti, striker, strikes, temperament, warsaw