Euro 2012: Germany can’t let Italy dictate, says LoewJune 28th, 2012 - 7:33 am ICT by IANS
Warsaw, June 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) German coach Joachim Loew has warned his side will go all out to prevent Italy from dominating the ball in their Euro 2012 semifinal in the same manner as the Azzurri did against England.
Germany are favourites in their clash with Italy in Warsaw Thursday, and Loew insists the Germans have the quality to enforce their style of play upon the four-time world champions.
“What will be decisive is we will play to our strengths and we will play to our rhythm and we will not allow Italy to dictate how we play,” Loew said.
“We know what our strengths are, we don’t have to concentrate on our opponent.”
Italy beat England in the quarterfinals 4-2 on a penalty shootout after playing 120 minutes without scoring, despite having most possession and controlling the game.
The danger signs were there for Loew.
“We saw that Italy after 60 or 70 minutes got stronger and stronger and had more chances (against England),” Loew said.
“But we are a team that doesn’t react to its opponents. We are our own team, we have formed our own way of playing. We don’t need to hide from anyone.”
He named forward pair Antonio Cassano and Mario Balotelli as the chief goal-scoring threats.
“But our central defenders are prepared for these players,” Loew said.
Germany’s path to the semifinal has seen victories over Portugal, the Netherlands, Denmark and Greece.
- Euro 2012: Italy were 'cleverer' than Germany, says Loew - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Balotelli brace stuns Germans, sends Italy to final - Jun 29, 2012
- Euro 2012: Cassano 'fantastic' despite lack of fitness, says Italy coach - Jun 29, 2012
- Germany flatten Greece 4-2 to make Euro semis - Jun 23, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy coach Prandelli applauds 'unique' Balotelli - Jun 29, 2012
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- 'Big Smiles' for Portugal after quarterfinal win: Ronaldo - Jun 22, 2012
- Italy beat England on penalties in Euro Cup - Jun 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Cassano and Balotelli send Italy to quarters - Jun 19, 2012
- Euro 2012: Italy ready for German pressure, says coach Prandelli - Jun 28, 2012
- Germans jittery but fully fit for Euro 2012 - Jun 08, 2012
- Euro 2012: Buffon hopes for one more shock from Italy - Jul 01, 2012
- German coach rejects Euro 2012 criticism by media - Aug 14, 2012
- Fabregas grabs 1-1 draw for Spain against Italy - Jun 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: Mandzukic strike help Croatia draw 1-1 with Italy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: antonio cassano, balotelli, central defenders, chief goal, clash, danger signs, dictate, euro 2012, german coach, germans, joachim loew, mario, opponent, opponents, penalty shootout, possession, rhythm, ria novosti, time world champions, warsaw