Euro 2012: Coach Olsen laments ‘unlucky’ DanesJune 14th, 2012 - 2:13 am ICT by IANS
Lviv, June 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Denmark coach Morten Olsen has praised his players for their performances in Wednesday’s last-gasp 3-2 defeat to Portugal.
Portugal stole all three points three minutes from time when substitute Silvestre Varela struck low into the corner, not long after Nicklas Bendtner thought he had rescued a 2-2 draw with his second headed goal of the match.
“I didn’t think to the last minutes that we would drop points,” Olsen said.
“Today I think we were a little bit unlucky. We deserved a point,” he said.
The result threw Group B wide open with the top three, Germany, Denmark and Portugal, all on three points. Germany can qualify for the quarterfinals with a win over the Netherlands later Wednesday.
Denmark enjoyed the majority of possession at Arena Lviv against a wasteful Portuguese side, who spurned a number of good chances through Cristiano Ronaldo in particular.
“We had possession, we should have made use of this pressure,” Olsen said.
But Olsen refused to end on a downbeat note, saying he got even more satisfaction from the way his players turned around his two-goal half-time deficit than from the shock 1-0 defeat of the Dutch in the opening game.
“If I was proud of the game against Holland, I was more proud of the second half against Portugal,” he said.
Olsen will be sweating on the fitness of winger Dennis Rommedahl and defensive midfielder Niki Zimling, who both limped off during the game, for Sunday’s last group game against Germany.
- Euro 2012: Portugal beating Denmark a 'just' result, says coach - Jun 14, 2012
- Euro 2012: Portugal steal 3-2 win over Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Euro 2012: Memory of 1992 motivates Denmark - Jun 01, 2012
- Euro 2012: Olsen rues lost penalty as Denmark crash out - Jun 18, 2012
- Denmark's Bendtner fined and banned for ambush marketing - Jun 19, 2012
- Low expects defensive Greece in quarters - Jun 18, 2012
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- We were disciplined for brutal Euro 2012 opener: Loew - Jun 10, 2012
- Leading scorers at Euro 2012 - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Portugal calm despite win-or-bust Denmark test - Jun 13, 2012
- Denmark's Bendtner hit with UEFA charge - Jun 15, 2012
- Germans lacked killer instinct: Coach - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group B Preview: Many challenges in Group of Death - Jun 05, 2012
- Germany must improve: Man of Match Ozil - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: dennis rommedahl, downbeat note, euro 2012, group game, half time, june 14, last gasp, last minutes, little bit, match, morten olsen, niki, portugal portugal, possession, quarterfinals, ria novosti, ronaldo, second half, three minutes, winger