Euro 2008 an “outstanding experience”, says PlatiniJune 29th, 2008 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, June 29 (Xinhua) European soccer body UEFA president Michel Platini said Euro 2008 was an outstanding experience and transmitted European football’s positive image across the globe. In a press conference held here Saturday, Platini thanked players, coaches and fans for their efforts during the tournament.
Platini also praised co-hosts Austria and Switzerland and looked forward to a memorable final encounter between Germany and Spain.
“When you arrive at the end of a tournament you say thanks to people and I would like to thank the players and the coaches because they have given a very good image of European football,” Platini said.
“The players have been positive, the coaches have been positive. Since the start of the competition, the players have given happiness through the quality of their football.”
“I am a happy President,” Platini said. “The organisation has been excellent, the two host countries’ work has been remarkable. The atmosphere has been nice, the supporters have been super.”
UEFA general secretary David Taylor said Euro 2008 is a also a financial success. “The revenues at this tournament have gone up by about 56 percent from 2004. The final net result for UEFA is about five percent better than 2004, so this tournament continues to attract huge interest from broadcasters and sponsors.”
“The financial benefits from the tournament are then used by UEFA to distribute to the 53 national associations over the next four years, to allow them to develop grassroots football and other forms of football in their countries.” Taylor said.
- UEFA chief praises Ukraine for Euro 2012 success - Aug 28, 2012
- UEFA hails Ukraine, Poland Euro 2012 success - Jun 19, 2012
- UEFA congress begins in Istanbul - Mar 22, 2012
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
- Polish competition watchdog sues UEFA over Euro 2012 tickets - Mar 20, 2012
- Women detained for topless protest in Ukraine - Sep 27, 2011
- Russia cracks down on Euro 2012 ticket touting - May 27, 2012
- France chosen to host Euro 2016 - May 28, 2010
- Azerbaijan joins Georgia in joint bidding for Euro 2020 - May 26, 2012
- Euro 2012 ticket design unveiled in Ukraine - Apr 24, 2012
- Golden Boot winners at Euros - Jul 02, 2012
- Platini rules out contesting FIFA presidency post - May 28, 2011
- Ukraine coach hits out at refereeing after Euro exit - Jun 20, 2012
- Platini wants other Gulf nations to joint Qatar in hosting 2022 WC - Jan 13, 2011
- Russia can be world champions in 2018: Platini - Jan 21, 2012
Tags: atmosphere, body uefa, broadcasters, countries work, david taylor, euro 2008, european soccer, final encounter, financial success, general secretary, grassroots football, happiness, host countries, june 29, michel platini, national associations, positive image, secretary david, vienna, xinhua