Eto’o gives Barcelona deserved draw against BetisFebruary 15th, 2009 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Feb 15 (DPA) Spanish leaders Barcelona had to dig deep Saturday to force a 2-2 away to lowly Betis, for whom goalkeeper Ricardo was the hero.
Barca needed two goals from league top scorer Samuel Eto’o to stretch their unbeaten run to 22 games.
Betis took an early 2-0 lead, with goals from Melli and Mark Gonzalez, but in the end were desperate to hear the final whistle.
“They came close to beating us at the end,” said Melli. “They never stopped attacking, and Ricardo had to keep us in the game.”
The draw leaves record-breaking leaders Barca 13 points ahead of Real Madrid, who are away to lively Sporting Gijon Sunday.
Melli headed Betis ahead, against the run of play, in the 18th minute, after getting ahead of his marker Sergio Busquets at a corner.
Just eight minutes later, Gonzalez made it 2-0 with one of his trademark left-foot drives.
It was the first time this season that Barca were two goals down, and Eto’o and company had to shake off their international match fatigue to pin Betis back.
They were given a dubious penalty at the end of the first half, for a supposed foul by Juande on Andres Iniesta. Ricardo saved Eto’o’s penalty, but the rebound fell kindly for the African and he scored with his left foot.
Betis’ lone striker Ricardo Oliveira had a “goal” disallowed after the restart, and later was foiled by Barca keeper Victor Valdes.
Barca lay siege to the Betis goal but were kept at bay by Ricardo, who made staggering saves from Thierry Henry and Gerard Pique.
There was nothing the Portuguese keeper could do, however, when, just six minutes from time, Eto’o skipped around the Betis defence and made it 2-2 with a powerful low drive.
Eto’o has now scored 23 league goals, six more than Valencia’s David Villa.
Fourth-placed Valencia are at home to ambitious Malaga later Saturday.
Saturday’s other early game was a colourless 0-0 draw between Deportivo Coruna and struggling Osasuna.
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- Barcelona move closer to Real Madrid with 4-1 win - Apr 08, 2012
- Barcelona beaten by Mallorca, Atletico fourth in Spanish League - May 18, 2009
- Real cruise as Barca lose in Spanish football - Nov 27, 2011
- Real Madrid's lead shrinks to four points - Apr 09, 2012
- Messi scores brace as Barca keep pace with Madrid - Apr 15, 2012
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Barca win 'El Classico' to go top of Spanish La Liga - Dec 11, 2011
- Messi makes history with 50 goals in Spanish league - May 06, 2012
- Barcelona blank Zaragoza in La Liga, Real Madrid beat Valencia - Nov 20, 2011
- Majestic Barcelona stay six points clear of Real Madrid - Mar 23, 2009
- Barca five points behind Real after draw against Espanyol - Jan 09, 2012
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
- Ten-man Inter manage to make Champions League final - Apr 29, 2010
- Barca crush Atletico, Real thrash Rayo - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: andres iniesta, betis, busquets, coruna, gerard pique, goalkeeper ricardo, league goals, mark gonzalez, melli, real madrid, ricardo oliveira, s david, samuel eto o, six minutes, sporting gijon, striker, thierry henry, top scorer, victor valdes, whistle