Eoin Morgan second Irishman to lead EnglandAugust 20th, 2011 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 20 (IANS) Eoin Morgan will lead England in the one-day cricket international against his native Ireland in Dublin Thursday.
The 25-year-old Dublin-born Morgan, the vice-captain of England’s Twenty20 team, played in the 2007 World Cup for Ireland before shifting to England so that he could play Test cricket.
Morgan, who made his England debut two years later against West Indies, hit four ODI centuries, one of these for Ireland.
He will be the second Irishman to captain England, the first being Frederick Fane in an Ashes series in the 1907-08 Ashes series down under.
Jonathan Bairstow, James Taylor, Scott Borthwick and Ben Stokes are the uncapped players in the 13-member squad. The four had impressive outings for England Lions that beat Sri Lanka 2-1 in a three-match one-day series.
Taylor, 21, in particular has been in good form, scoring two centuries. Wicketkeeper Bairstow, 21, the son of former England player David Bairstow, Durham batsman Stokes, 20, and his county-mate and legspinner of promise, Borthwick, 21, will be watched with keen interest.
Also in the squad is Jonathan Trott, who missed the last two Test matches against India with a shoulder injury. Regular ODI captain Alastair Cook, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann and James Anderson have all been rested.
Ireland scored a sensational victory over England at the World Cup in the subcontinent earlier in the year.
Eoin Morgan (captain), Jonathan Bairstow, Ravi Bopara, Scott Borthwick, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter, Graham Onions, Samit Patel, Ben Stokes, James Taylor, Jonathan Trott, Chris Woakes.
- England rest Pietersen for one-day series against India - Aug 27, 2011
- England rest Anderson for ODI series in India - Sep 27, 2011
- Pietersen left out of England Test squad for India tour - Sep 18, 2012
- Panesar, Davies return to England squad - Dec 09, 2011
- Uncapped Bairstow included in England Test squad - May 13, 2012
- Depleted Windies aim to punch up England in first T20I - Sep 23, 2011
- Ravi Bopara replaces injured Trott in third Test - Aug 06, 2011
- England put India in to bat in fifth ODI - Oct 25, 2011
- England humiliate Hyderabad XI - Oct 11, 2011
- Broad retains his place, Bresnan recalled in England squad - Jul 17, 2011
- England opt to bat against West Indies - Mar 17, 2011
- Scoreboard of England's innings against India in 4th ODI - Oct 23, 2011
- Morgan defends under-fire Trott - Aug 26, 2011
- Bell part of Lions squad to face Windies - May 06, 2012
- Collingwood, Prior dropped from England squad - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: alastair cook, borthwick, captain england, captain jonathan, david bairstow, england player, eoin, impressive outings, kevin pietersen, kieswetter, member squad, native ireland, one day cricket, ravi bopara, series taylor, taylor scott, test cricket, uncapped players, vice captain, wicketkeeper