Enjoy the game and chase your dreams, says SachinMarch 16th, 2012 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mirpur (Dhaka), March 16 (IANS) “Enjoy the game and chase your dreams” was batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar’s message to budding cricketers after he achieved his 100th international hundred against Bangladesh in the Asia Cup.
The cricketing world and Sachin’s billion fans tasted their moment of joy after the master blaster struck his first hundred since March 12, 2011, scoring 114 off 157 balls.
Sachin said the wait for the elusive century as a tough one.
“I can’t think of anything at this stage. It has been a tough phase for me,” said Sachin.
“I started off the season batting reasonably well, batted well in Australia without much luck. It doesn’t really matter how many hundreds you score, in the end you have to put your head down and grind it out for the team.”
The 38-year old said he wasn’t thinking too much about the milestone despite the unprecedented attention by his fans and the media.
“To be honest, I was not really thinking about it. The media started it all. Wherever I went, to the restaurant, room service, housekeeping, everyone was talking about the 100th hundred. It was surprising as nobody talked about my 99 hundreds.”
Sachin slowed down a bit while getting to the magical figure. When asked about how he paced his innings, Sachin said: “It was slightly different, the ball was not coming onto the bat. Virat (Kohli) and I were discussing that 275-280 would be a decent score on this wicket.
Many feel Sachin’s feat won’t be repeated but he thinks the important thing is to play for the team.
“It hasn’t sunk in but I have definitely lost about 50 kilos,” he quipped when asksed about the significance of his achievement.
His message to the youngsters: “Dreams do come true. I had to wait for one for 22 years (the World Cup). So, go out there and chase your dreams.”
- Will carry on as long as I enjoy my game: Tendulkar (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Tendulkar strikes record 100th international century (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- It would have been selfish to retire after the World Cup high: Sachin - Mar 17, 2012
- Cricketing world pays hearty tribute to Sachin - Mar 16, 2012
- India erupts with joy as Sachin hits 100th ton (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- Rohit can be a good finisher: Dhoni - Mar 19, 2012
- Tendulkar would be happy to see an Indian break his record (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Mumbai celebrates Tendulkar's 100th ton - Mar 16, 2012
- India's finest salute Sachin (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- Praise showered on Sachin for century of tons (Intro Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- PM congratulates Tendulkar on 100th international ton - Mar 16, 2012
- Sachin's calmness at other end helped, says destructive Levi - Apr 05, 2012
- Motera eagerly awaits Tendulkar's 100th century - Mar 24, 2011
- Lara says Dhoni should get another chance - Jan 13, 2012
- Bangladesh played better: Dhoni - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: 22 years, asia cup, balls, bangladesh, cricketers, cricketing, decent score, dhaka, dreams, housekeeping, kohli, maestro, magical figure, milestone, mirpur, sachin tendulkar, unprecedented attention, wicket, world cup, youngsters