English referee sets world record by dishing out 15 cards in FIFA WC finalJuly 12th, 2010 - 5:03 pm ICT by ANI
Johannesburg, July 12 (ANI): English referee Howard Webb created World Cup history last night by dishing out a record 15 cards in a brutal final between Spain and the Netherlands.The Yorkshire cop issued 14 yellow cards and one red card, more than doubling the previous record in the final of 24 years ago.
Webb issued nine yellows to the Dutch, including Johnny Heitinga, who was later sent off - and five to the Spanish.
Webb was largely praised for handling a scrappy and physical game, which Spain won 1-0 after extra time.
Former Premier League referee Jeff Winter declared: “Howard has done the nation proud. The officials were the best team on the pitch. He was excellent.” The Dutch players were furious with Webb after the final whistle because they should have had a corner before Spain broke away to score through Andres Iniesta.
Brazilian ref Romualdo Arppi Filho set the previous yellow card record during the Argentina v West Germany final of 1986. (ANI)
- Dutch indulged in 'total thuggery', entertaining Spain rightful winners - Jul 12, 2010
- Spain, Netherlands break yellow card record - Jul 12, 2010
- Spain, Netherlands break yellow card record (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- FIFA WC final referee Webb is the most hated man in Holland - Jul 13, 2010
- World Cup referee Webb praised After 'Ugly' Final - Jul 12, 2010
- I should have sent off de Jong in World Cup final: Webb - Aug 26, 2010
- FIFA WC final referee's mum says he should be left alone - Jul 13, 2010
- Howard Webb to referee Russia's Euro 2012 opener - Jun 06, 2012
- Spain beat Dutch to capture first World Cup title (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Iniesta goal gives Spain World Cup glory (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Dutch media blame 'chump' Webb for WC final defeat - Jul 12, 2010
- WC final referees had no choice 'but to manage the way we did': Webb - Jul 14, 2010
- World Cup final lineups - Jul 12, 2010
- World Cup trophy handed over to Spain - Jul 12, 2010
- Historic Spain victory caps euphoric African World Cup (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: 24 years, andres iniesta, argentina, cop, extra time, johannesburg, johnny heitinga, netherlands, physical game, pitch, premier league, referee, west germany, whistle, world cup history, world record, yellow card, yellow cards, yellows, yorkshire