England should not feel ashamed for defeat: LescottJune 25th, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kiev (Ukraine), June 25 (IANS) England star Joleon Lescott feels that there is nothing to be ashamed of after the country suffered a penalty shootout debacle in the quarter-final of the Euro 2012 against Italy.
England were dumped out of the Euro 2-4 on spot-kicks after a goalless 120 minutes of action against Italy here Sunday night.
“A lot was made before the tournament about how far we could get and in every performance we have shown pride and passion. That is what the England fans wanted to see. Is the quarter-finals the level England are at? Definitely not,” the Manchester City star was quoted as saying by The Sun.
“We were confident coming into the competition, with the players we’ve got in the team. They are at the top of their game and some of them are the best in the world in their position.”
“I think a quarter-final is the least of our expectations and progression has been made from the last tournament. It is disappointing to be going home but, as soon as we’ve licked our wounds, we can look back and feel we’ve made the nation proud,” he said.
England were also knocked out of the 1990, 1998 and 2006 World Cups on penalties and suffered a similar fate in the 1996 and 2004 Euros.
The 29-year-old Lescott said England never want to be left in that position ever again.
“Everyone is disappointed with the way it happened. The penalty shootout was nerve-wracking and a lot of credit goes to the boys who stepped up and put their name forward to take a penalty. It’s one of those things we need to get past - and it’s probably more mental than anything else. You have to blank things out to go through in a penalty shootout,” he said.
- I will take a penalty if needed: Hart - Jun 22, 2012
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Ukraine 'horror stories' deterred fans, says Hodgson - Jun 20, 2012
- Time running out for England's Golden Generation: Hodgson - Jun 16, 2012
- Italy beat England on penalties in Euro Cup - Jun 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Blanc hails Germany as role model for France - Jun 15, 2012
- Mellberg rues cheap goals as Sweden exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Pirlo penalty reminds me of Totti, says De Rossi - Jun 25, 2012
- Carroll hails 'great' England - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: England win over Ukraine - Jun 20, 2012
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain beat Portugal 4-2 on penalties, reach final - Jun 28, 2012
- UEFA hails Ukraine, Poland Euro 2012 success - Jun 19, 2012
- Debate in Spain about who should take penalties - Jul 06, 2010
- Walcott surprised by his own Roanldo dip - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: city star, debacle, england fans, england star, euro 2012, fate, game, going home, italy, joleon lescott, kiev ukraine, manchester city, penalty shootout, pride and passion, quarter finals, sun, world cups, wounds