England shops for protective gear to battle dengueSeptember 16th, 2010 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 16 (IANS) The chef de mission of the England’s Commonwealth squad, Craig Hunter is on a shopping spree in Delhi for 560 pairs of trousers and long-sleeved tops to protect his athletes and officials from dengue during the Commonwealth Games.
The dengue outbreak has resulted in five deaths in the Indian capital and 2,085 cases have been reported till Thursday.
Since there is no cure for the mosquito-borne disease, the only way to tackle it is by prevention, and Hunter is doing just that by last-minute shopping for protective clothing.
“Everyone has a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a long-sleeved top in their kit but when you are out here for three or four weeks you need a change of clothing,” said Hunter.
“Having given them medical advice about covering up, it is only right that we provide them with the right clothes. I am now looking at whether we can buy them off the peg or whether we need to get them manufactured,” Hunter was quoted as saying by The Telegraph.
The deadly disease when contracted has symptoms like high fever for four to five days, severe headaches, pain in the eyes and aching muscles and joints.
The rise in the number of dengue cases can be attributed to the unusual rains in Delhi at this time of the year, turning open spaces and construction sites into a breeding ground for the mosquitoes.
Hunter is part of an advanced party of English officials in Delhi, who have come for an assessment of the security situation and the state of the Games Village for the strong 560-member squad due to arrive by Sep 23.
Meanwhile, the Games Organising Committee officials are taking precautions by fogging the Village with insecticides twice a day and carrying out anti-larvae treatment.
–Indo–Asian News Service
- No country has expressed dengue fears: Bhanot - Sep 10, 2010
- England to send full contingent despite dengue fear - Sep 09, 2010
- 73 more dengue cases push Delhi total to 2,085 - Sep 16, 2010
- 75 more dengue cases surface in Delhi - Oct 26, 2010
- Engineer to be prosecuted for judges getting dengue - Mar 21, 2011
- Coming soon: A trap to trick pregnant mosquitoes! - Dec 26, 2010
- 65 new dengue cases in Delhi - Aug 27, 2010
- 59 new dengue cases in Delhi, tally 800 - Aug 29, 2010
- Eight more dengue cases in Delhi - Aug 09, 2010
- Dengue victims are mostly students and working persons - Sep 21, 2010
- Indian-origin led team makes cocktail against mosquitoes - Jun 02, 2011
- 10 dengue cases in Assam - Sep 15, 2010
- 'Hygiene bigger concern than terror attack at CWG' - Sep 18, 2010
- No need to panic on dengue: Health ministry (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- 93 new dengue cases in Delhi - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: aching muscles, asian news, breeding ground, chef de mission, committee officials, commonwealth games, construction sites, craig hunter, deadly disease, dengue cases, dengue outbreak, england shops, high fever, medical advice, member squad, mosquito borne disease, security situation, severe headaches, shopping spree, tracksuit bottoms