England outplayed Australia in every department: BothamJanuary 9th, 2011 - 2:35 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 9(ANI): Former England all-rounder Ian Botham has scoffed at Cricket Australia’s claims that there were positives to be taken from the humiliating Ashes series loss.
Botham said Australia had a mountain to climb with its cricket.
“I keep hearing from the Australian camp that they’ve done really well. God help you when you do badly then, because for me, England have outplayed them in every department,” Fox Sports quoted Botham, as saying.
“I think if you have a look at the two sides, you tell me which Australian would get into that England side. Probably none. It’s a real problem and a total role reversal from what it was, and I think, it’s going to take Australia a while to rebuild because they lost so many players in such a short period.”
“So you’re possibly paying for the success you’ve had in the last 20 years,” he added.
Botham’s comment comes after England thrashed Australia by an innings and 83 runs in the fifth and final Test in Sydney on Friday to claim a 3-1 victory.
The victory gave the visitors their first Test series win in Australia since the 1986-87 tour.
It was also the first time Australia had lost three Tests at home since 1988-89, when Viv Richards’ West Indies side had won by a 3-1 margin. (ANI)
- Waugh ready to come to the aid of 'hammered' Aussies - Jan 08, 2011
- Oz 'celebrities' took their eyes off Ashes aim, says ex-Cricket Australia Chairman - Jan 08, 2011
- No one annihilated Australia in the manner England did: Fletcher - Jan 15, 2011
- England beat Australia to win Ashes series Down Under after 24 years - Jan 07, 2011
- Ashes series-winning England comparable to world No. 1 India: Watson - Jan 07, 2011
- 'Magnificent' Ponting sailing Oz Ashes ship on his own: Botham - Nov 18, 2010
- India have to prove they are world's top Test team: Botham - May 26, 2011
- Clarke says England 'outplayed' Australia in all facets of the game - Jan 07, 2011
- Paine ready to grab opportunity thrown up by Oz big boys' Ashes failure - Jan 10, 2011
- 1986 Ashes win was possible because England was a 'damn good team': Gatting - Nov 22, 2010
- Swann will be trump card in England's Ashes victory: Botham - Nov 11, 2010
- England's bowling attack is 'the best in the world': Border - Jan 16, 2011
- Divert Oz teenage athletes back to cricket: Border - Jan 16, 2011
- England 'delighted' with historic Ashes series win Down Under: Strauss - Jan 07, 2011
- Steve Waugh for action only after Ashes loss emotions settle down - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: cricket australia, england side, final test, first test, fox sports, god, ian botham, london jan, role reversal, rounder, short period, sydney, test series, time australia, victory, viv richards, west indies