England must block out 2006 Ashes nightmare: GillespieDecember 2nd, 2010 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
Adelaide, Dec.2 (ANI): Former Australian fast bowler Jason Gillespie has said that England must block out the harrowing memories of the Ashes series played Down Under in 2006, or risk scuppering their second Test hopes.
England return to the scene of one of their famous Ashes capitulations tomorrow when they take the field at the Adelaide Oval.
Going into day five in the 2006/07 series, Andrew Flintoff’s side looked destined for a draw, resuming on 59-1 with a lead of 97.
Legendary leg-spinner Shane Warne had different ideas, spinning his side to a crushing victory that snowballed into the infamous series whitewash.
Now, Gillespie believes the cool head of skipper Andrew Strauss is vital to avoid history repeating itself.
He told Sun Sport: “If England go into this Test thinking about that infamous day, it’s completely the wrong mindset. I’ve got no doubt there will be few words said out in the middle to remind them of what happened four years ago though. If they let it affect them, then Australia will be very happy. So I hope they show highlights of it on the big screen.”
“The England players are smart enough to know it is just banter. If they worry about the past they will take their eye off the ball,” he added.
While Gillespie accepts that England can take more positives out of the drawn first Test, he remains adamant that Australia remains favourites to win the series. (ANI)
- Panesar, Tremlett recalled in England's 16-man squad for Ashes - Sep 24, 2010
- Humiliation of 5-0 Ashes hiding still hurts: Strauss - Oct 30, 2010
- England's performance will do the talking in Australia: Strauss - Aug 18, 2010
- England will feel Ashes statistical heat - Oct 31, 2010
- We've learned lessons from 2007 World Cup: Strauss - Feb 14, 2011
- Hughes will make England pay for taunting him: Langer - Dec 10, 2010
- Strauss vows to 'grind Australia down' to retain Ashes - Oct 31, 2010
- England ready for Oz Ashes onslaught in Perth: Strauss - Dec 15, 2010
- Ashes 2010: Strauss says England not complacent ahead of second Test - Dec 02, 2010
- England will stay No.1 for a long time: Harminson - Oct 08, 2011
- Strauss will be judged a great England captain only if he wins Ashes Down Under: Flintoff - Aug 23, 2010
- Winning in India bigger than Ashes, says Strauss - May 24, 2011
- Use Flintoff as Larwood to give Ponting 'Bodyline' chin music during Ashes: Chappell - Jul 07, 2010
- Strauss, Flower receive OBEs - Oct 05, 2011
- Stewart dreams of England's 'fantastic' 4-0 Ashes win over Australia - Dec 15, 2010
Tags: adelaide oval, andrew flintoff, andrew strauss, banter, cool head, england players, few words, first test, infamous series, jason gillespie, memories, mindset, nightmare, no doubt, second test, shane warne, skipper, sun sport, victory, whitewash