England make merry off fragile Indian attack (Lunch report)July 22nd, 2011 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 22 (IANS) England ambled to 217/3 at lunch on the second day of the first cricket Test at Lord’s here Friday after India were left a bowler short with Zaheer Khan being diagonsed with a hamstring strain.
England, resuming at 127/2, lost Jonathan Trott (70) to Praveen Kumar before Kevin Pietersen (71) and Ian Bell (28) guided the England innings.
Pietersen was lucky to escape when Rahul Dravid, for the third time in two days, failed to hold onto a low catch at leg slip off Praveen. It was smart move by Mahendra Singh Dhoni to place a leg slip for Pietersen, who made most of his runs on leg side moving across to the stumps.
Pietersen, who was batting at overnight 22, grew in confidence and stroked seven fours.
India’s pace spearhead Zaheer, who hobbled out of the field on the opening day Thursday with a hamstring strain, was ruled out of the rest of England’s first innings. However he is expected to bowl in the second innings.
In the absence of Zaheer, who had taken both the wickets Thursday, the Indian attack was reduced to just three bowlers and lacked sharpness.
Praveen bowled his heart out with longer spells but did not get much help from the other end.
Trott, after adding 12 runs to his overnight score, fell to Kumar’s swinging delivery.
Ishant Sharma failed to make much impact as he again bowled short off the good length and also erred in line.
- Pietersen cracks century before Praveen strikes back (Tea report) - Jul 22, 2011
- England consolidate with Pietersen double century (Roundup) - Jul 23, 2011
- Trott survives to score half-century, England 127/2 (Tea report) - Jul 21, 2011
- Ready to bowl long spells: Praveen Kumar - Jul 23, 2011
- Lord's Test: Trott survives dropped chances to guide England to 127/2 (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2011
- Ishant takes three to bring India back in Lord's Test (Lunch report) - Jul 24, 2011
- Trott, Patel help England post a challenging total against India (Lead) - Oct 20, 2011
- India face herculean task to save Lord's Test (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs England, First Test, Day two - Jul 22, 2011
- Kohli's ton, double century stand with Gambhir see India victorious - Oct 18, 2011
- Strauss and Pietersen steady England innings (Lunch report) - Jul 29, 2011
- India pin England down to 124/8 (Tea report) - Jul 29, 2011
- Pacers put India on top (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs England, First Test, Day three - Jul 24, 2011
- Anderson takes five, England beat India by 196 runs (Roundup) - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: bowlers, cricket test, dravid, england innings, jonathan, kevin pietersen, leg side, lunch report, mahendra singh, opening day, praveen kumar, sharpness, smart move, spearhead, spells, stumps, third time, trott, wickets, zaheer khan