England left looking like a pub side against Ireland: Brit pressMarch 3rd, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
Bengaluru, Mar 3 (ANI): Ireland’s stunning three-wicket win at the Cricket World Cup has left the British press fuming, who have described England’s performance as “punch-drunk” and resembling that of a “pub side”.
Kevin O’Brien played an innings of brilliance and helped Ireland beat England in a World Cup Group B match during a huge run chase at the Chinnaswamy Stadium here on Wednesday night.
Kevin’s hundred (113, 63b, 13×4, 6×6), the fastest in the World Cup’s history, sealed a three-wicket victory for Ireland over England. Chasing England’s 327 for eight, Ireland scored 329 for seven in 49.1 overs.
The Sun said: ‘England left looking like a pub side’
Sun reporter Ali Martin wrote, “England are making this World Cup exciting - but through performances that range from the sublime to the ridiculous.”
“England were left looking like a pub side as Kevin O’Brien smashed the fastest-ever World Cup century to fire Ireland to a shock win,” he wrote.
The Guardian said: ‘England were punch-drunk’
The tone of Andy Bull’s ‘Sport Blog’ was more of disbelief and shock at Ireland’s triumph over England, Fox Sports reports.
“I’ve no idea if Kevin O’Brien is religious or not but watching him at work against England was enough to make a man believe in miracles,” Bull wrote.
Daily Mirror said: ‘Ireland humble England’
Daily Mirror cricket correspondent Dean Wilson attempted to highlight some of England’s positives from their loss, praising batsmen Jonathan Trott and Ian Bell.
The Independent said: ‘Ireland win rocks England’s world’
The Independent’s Stephen Brenkley described England’s bowling as almost unrecognisable to their Ashes assault. (ANI)
- A series of firsts for Ireland against England (Statistical Highlights) - Mar 03, 2011
- O'Brien hoping for an encore of Bangalore knock - Aug 25, 2011
- Fastest WC century maker eyes IPL, says he used to play like that in garden - Mar 03, 2011
- O'Brien wary of strong Indian batting, bowling line-up - Mar 04, 2011
- Yuvraj takes five, Ireland all out for 207 (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Ireland put India on notice with victory over England - Mar 03, 2011
- West Indies will be wary of fast-improving Ireland (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
- Irish cricketer Kevin disappointed at missing IPL - May 04, 2012
- Yuvraj steals the thunder from defiant Ireland (Diary) - Mar 06, 2011
- Unfazed Ireland looks ahead for better performance - Mar 07, 2011
- World Cup stunner: Ireland score upset win over England (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- An Irish buzz on the eve of their match against India (Preview) - Mar 05, 2011
- England elect to bat against Ireland - Mar 02, 2011
- World Cup is not over for us: Trott - Mar 04, 2011
- Kevin's blazing century inspires historic Irish win (Intro Roundup) - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: bengaluru, bowling, brilliance, brit, chase, correspondent, cricket world cup, daily mirror, dean wilson, disbelief, fox sports, guardian, match, miracles, o brien, punch drunk, sun reporter, trott, wednesday night, wicket victory