England keeper Jones to play for Papua New GuineaMarch 12th, 2012 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, March 12 (IANS) England wicketkeeper Geraint Jones will be playing for his country of birth, Papua New Guinea (PNG) in a qualifying event that will lead two aspiring cricket nations to the ICC World Twenty20.
Jones will return to playing international cricket, six years after representing England in the 2006 Ashes Trophy in Australia.
“It’s been in the pipeline for a while. Because my last game for England was more than four years ago it opened the door to play for PNG. The opportunity was there and the guys have done fantastically well to get to this stage,” Jones was quoted as saying by The Age, Melbourne.
“I wanted to make sure they wanted me to be part of it. I didn’t want to steamroll in but thankfully they said, yes, they wanted me involved,” he added.
Jones said that it was great chance for him to get back to playing international cricket and take part in World Cup, which he never did with England.
“There’s definitely a bit of giving something back, but it’s also a chance to play a bit more international cricket and maybe go to a world cup, and that was one thing I never did with England,” he said.
Jones’ parents were teachers who worked for an Australian organisation but were posted to PNG in 1973. Geraint was born three years later, in Kundiawa.
The wicketkeeper batsman has represented England in 34 Tests and 49 ODIs, taking 128 and 68 catches respectively.
- Umpire Billy Bowden takes Ashes winning ball home again - Jan 10, 2011
- ICC U-19 World Cup: Windies clash with Kiwis for semi-final spot - Aug 19, 2012
- Cricket Australia appoints Marsh, Bichel as selectors - Nov 10, 2011
- Coach backs young Windies to excel in World Cup - Jul 13, 2012
- Border has credentials to takeover as Oz cricket coach: Jones - Feb 12, 2011
- Lawson to assist Afghan under-19 World Cup team - Jul 12, 2012
- Muralitharan to retire after World Cup - Jan 21, 2011
- More cricket in the future is bound to cause problems to players: Trescothick - Apr 17, 2011
- Kamran willing to drop gloves to be in Pakistan side - Nov 30, 2010
- Prior plays down Ashes' Down Under curse for England wicketkeepers - Nov 13, 2010
- India can emerge as world champions if players play to potential: Kapil Dev - Jan 28, 2011
- Pietersen to ECB: Let me play full IPL or else... - Aug 08, 2012
- Silver Ferns beat minnows Papua New Guinea 102-21 - Oct 04, 2010
- Ojha to play for English county surrey - Aug 02, 2011
- U-19: Australia, Pakistan, Windies win - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: age melbourne, australia, australian organisation, batsman, dubai, england, geraint jones, icc world twenty20, international cricket, keeper jones, last game, odis, papua new guinea, parents, pipeline, png, six years, trophy, wicketkeeper, world cup