England has nose ahead of Australia in Sydney TestJanuary 4th, 2011 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Jan.4 (ANI): Chasing Australia’s 280 on day two of the final Ashes Test being played at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) here, England were strongly placed at 167 runs for the loss of three wickets on Tuesday.
They had skipper Andrew Strauss to thank, as he hit a sparkling 58-ball 60 before being bowled by right-arm fast bowler Ben Hilfenhaus. Alastair Cook and James Anderson were at the crease at the close of play with 61 and 1.
Earlier, one-drop batsman Jonathan Trott was bowled for nought and Kevin Pietersen was caught at deep fine leg for 36, both of the bowling of left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Johnson.
At one stage, England were 2 for 99, and it seemed as if the horrors of the Perth Test were about to be repeated, but Cook and Pietersen steadied the Poms ship with a partnership of 66 runs.
Earlier in the day, Australia, resuming at 134 for the loss of four wickets, struggled to make 200 before Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus combined to add 76 for the ninth wicket. Johnson scored 53 while Hilfenhaus chipped in with 34. Top run getter for the Australians Michael Hussey scored 33. (ANI)
- Second repeat ton by Cook helps England to tighten grip on Adelaide Test - Dec 04, 2010
- Ashes: Siddle helps Australia bundle out England for 260 in Brisbane Test - Nov 25, 2010
- Aussies five wickets away from Perth Ashes Test glory - Dec 18, 2010
- Trott, Patel help England post a challenging total against India (Lead) - Oct 20, 2011
- 'On fire' Johnson dramatically swings Perth Test back in Australia's favour - Dec 17, 2010
- Pace bowler Harris gives selectors six screeching reasons to pick him for Adelaide - Dec 01, 2010
- India all out for 191 in first innings - Jan 03, 2012
- England in command after first day of Perth Ashes Test - Dec 16, 2010
- England in command after first day of Boxing Day Test - Dec 26, 2010
- Trott ton puts England in driver's seat on day two of Boxing Day Ashes Test - Dec 27, 2010
- Strauss, Pietersen on top of Bollinger's Ashes wicket-taking hit list - Nov 17, 2010
- Rahane shines as India take 3-0 lead against England (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2011
- Strauss and Pietersen steady England innings (Lunch report) - Jul 29, 2011
- Oz selectors' 'chopping and changing' regime ruining bowlers' performances: Clark - Dec 11, 2010
- Selectors back Australia's inconsistent pace attack - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: alastair cook, andrew strauss, australians, bowling, close of play, crease, four wickets, getter, james anderson, jonathan, kevin pietersen, left arm, michael hussey, mitchell johnson, nought, perth, right arm, sydney cricket ground, trott, wicket