England hammer Andorra in World Cup qualifyingJune 11th, 2009 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 11 (DPA) England moved to within one win of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup finals after they hammered minnows Andorra 6-0 at Wembley.
Two goals apiece from Wayne Rooney and Jermain Defoe and one each for Frank Lampard and Peter Crouch made it seven wins out of seven in group six and put England 10 points clear at the top Wednesday.
One win from their remaining three games will be enough to see them through to the finals next summer and Fabio Capello was satisfied with his side’s showing.
“We played well tonight,” Capello said. “I liked it. We still need one more win but I am very pleased.”
The 6-0 win was England’s biggest margin of victory for nearly a decade.
Andorra were abject and England could have scored twice as many as they eventually managed.
Rooney put England ahead in the fourth minute but it took until the 29th minute for Lampard to double their lead. Rooney scored his second 10 minutes later. After the break, when Steven Gerrard and Rooney had been rested, England were again dominant.
Defoe, on as a substitute, made it 4-0 in the 73rd minute from close range after Beckham’s free kick had rebounded off the goalkeeper. The Tottenham Hotspur striker scored his second just six minutes ater and Peter Crouch bundled in a sixth nine minutes from time.
Lampard said Capello had made a massive impact on the side.
“We found ourselves again a bit,” Lampard said. “We had lost ourselves for a bit but now we are working as a group.”
Beckham, who was one of the best players on the pitch, has never scored at the new Wembley, but the former captain said that did not bother him.
“I don’t care as long as we keep winning and keep performing as we have done throughout the campaign,” he said.
Capello also praised the efforts of the fans who defied a strike on the Underground trains to produce an attendance of almost 58,000.
“I am very happy for the fans because they had lots of problems today, so I am happy we played well for them.”
- Defoe gives England win over Slovenia to send them through (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Capello leaves out Rio, Crouch from England squad - Aug 29, 2011
- Capello looks for right World Cup mix for England (Group C team profile) - May 28, 2010
- England through, but dramatic US win sends them on top (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- Algeria hold England to 0-0 draw (Lead) - Jun 19, 2010
- Defoe scores hat-trick as England beat Bulgaria 4-0 - Sep 04, 2010
- England name squads for two remaining World Cup qualifiers - Oct 05, 2009
- Crouch makes Capello think after second-half double against Egypt - Mar 04, 2010
- England's Lions seek to devour past demons against Germany - Jun 26, 2010
- Capello asks fans to stop booing Rooney and be patient - Aug 12, 2010
- Crouch tips Rooney to pick up WC winner's medal and Player of the Year award - Jun 07, 2010
- Rooney's dream is of winning World Cup glory - Jun 08, 2009
- Germany crush England 4-1 for quarterfinal berth (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Shilton backs Rooney to live up to expectations of English fans during WC - May 19, 2010
- Tottenham stars can win World Cup for England - May 07, 2010
Tags: ater, beckham, close range, fabio capello, frank lampard, free kick, goalkeeper, jermain defoe, margin of victory, massive impact, minnows, new wembley, peter crouch, six minutes, steven gerrard, three games, tottenham hotspur, underground trains, wayne rooney, world cup finals