England defender Cahill out of Euro 2012June 4th, 2012 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 4 (IANS) Chelsea defender Gary Cahill has been withdrawn from England’s squad for Euro 2012 with a double fracture of the jaw, the Football Association (FA) announced.
Cahill was injured 17 minutes into England’s 1-0 friendly win over Belgium Saturday. The 27-year-old was pushed by Belgium’s Dries Mertens and collided heavily with England goalkeeper Joe Hart, Xinhua reported.
“The Chelsea defender has two fractures of his jaw, one either side,” FA said Sunday on its website.
“Liverpool defender Martin Kelly will be called into the squad - subject to agreement from UEFA’s medical team.”
The injury doubts on England’s John Terry have been cleared and the Chelsea defender will be fit for Euro 2012.
Saturday’s match against Belgium was England’s final friendly before they take on France in Donetsk June 11 to start their Euro 2012 Group D campaign.
- Worries for England despite beating Belgium - Jun 03, 2012
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- Ferdinand fears England career finished - Jun 09, 2012
- Capello leaves out Rio, Crouch from England squad - Aug 29, 2011
- I will take a penalty if needed: Hart - Jun 22, 2012
- Cahill completes Chelsea switch - Jan 14, 2012
- Terry might quit national side - Feb 04, 2012
- England play Norway, Belgium before Euro 2012 games - Jan 06, 2012
- FA likely to sack Terry as England captain - Feb 03, 2012
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- Ukraine's coach Blokhin names Euro 2012 squad - May 30, 2012
- UEFA proceeds English FA over fans' pitch invasion - Jun 17, 2012
- Time running out for England's Golden Generation: Hodgson - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: belgium, donetsk, doubts, dries, england goalkeeper, euro 2012, football association, fracture, fractures, gary cahill, joe hart, john terry, liverpool, london, martin kelly, match, medical team, uefa, xinhua