England cricketers should not play in IPL: FletcherMarch 4th, 2009 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 4 (IANS) Duncan Fletcher has asked England players not to play in the Indian Premier League in the wake of terror attacks on Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore.
“If I were one of the England guys who signed up for the Indian Premier League, I would be concerned, ” Fletcher, a former England coach, wrote in his column in the Guardian.
“India is different. The traffic is often so bad in the big cities where a lot of the cricket is played that the coach can move along only slowly at times, which turns it into a sitting duck for terrorists. There’s nothing stopping a tuk-tuk pulling up alongside and detonating a bomb. I would be very nervous because that kind of attack is much easier to carry out in India and these guys can attack when they like. ”
Fletcher said the Mumbai terror attack in November has proved India is no longer a safe destination.
“The attacks in Mumbai called into question even the safety of the best hotels. What cricketer is going to start thinking about runs and wickets when there are these more serious matters to consider? These are vulnerable times, and extremely sad ones too, ” he said.
- Fletcher likely to attend Friday's selection committee meeting - May 09, 2011
- Fletcher to take over Indian cricket team after Windies tour (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Trying to develop young ODI and T20 squads, says Fletcher - Mar 28, 2012
- Never seen England pitches seam and swing so much: Fletcher (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- I will learn from the Indian team: Fletcher - Jul 15, 2011
- Great chance for youngsters to perform, says Raina - May 31, 2011
- Fletcher to bring Penney on board as India's fielding coach - May 24, 2011
- Duncan Fletcher appointed India's cricket coach - Apr 27, 2011
- Important to start well, says Dhoni - Jul 17, 2012
- Fletcher's 'three mantras' of how to dislodge Ponting - Nov 22, 2010
- With Fletcher, it's advantage India: Bell - Jul 18, 2011
- Swann thanks Fletcher for ignoring him for 7 years - Jul 19, 2011
- India-Pakistan clash the talking point in Sri Lanka (World Cup Diary) - Mar 28, 2011
- Consistent year of losing for Indian cricket: Akram - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian cricket in a very healthy state: Fletcher - Jun 12, 2011
Tags: bomb, cricket, duncan fletcher, england coach, england cricketers, england players, guardian, India, lahore, london march, premier league, sad ones, sitting duck, sri lankan cricketers, terror attack, terror attacks, terrorists, tuk tuk, vulnerable times, wickets