England announce first lot of swimmers for CWGApril 23rd, 2010 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 23 (IANS) Double Olympic gold medallist Rebecca Adlington, world champions Liam Tancock and Gemma Spofforth will spearhead England’s challenge in the swimming competitions at the Commonwealth Games here in October.
Commonwealth Games England named 29 swimmers for the Oct 3-14 Games. A further 13 swimmers will be added to the list after the European Championships (August 4 to 15, Budapest) and the National Championships (August 18 to 21, Sunderland).
The swimmers named in the team achieved qualification standards at the British Swimming Championships, which took place in Sheffield just over two weeks ago. The team also includes Simon Burnett and Ross Davenport, who return to Commonwealth Games action after winning a brace of gold medals each in Melbourne four years ago.
Achieng Ajulu-Bushell, 16, has earned a call-up after switching her nationality from Kenya. Ajulu-Bushell impressed at the trials where she won the women’s 50m and 100m breaststroke double.
England swimming team leader for Delhi John Atkinson, said: “The swimmers selected can now begin their preparations in earnest.”
England’s swimmers finished runners-up to Australia in the swimming medals table at the previous edition in Melbourne, winning eight gold, 11 silver and four bronze medals.
Swimmers selected are: Men: Robert Bale, Adam Brown, Simon Burnett, Ross Davenport, Daniel Fogg, James Goddard, Thomas Parris, Roberto Pavoni, Michael Rock, Joseph Roebuck, Liam Tancock, Grant Turner, Christopher Walker-Hebborn and Richard Webb.
Women: Rebecca Adlington, Achieng Ajulu-Bushell, Ellen Gandy, Francesca Halsal, Joanne Jackson, Sasha Matthews, Keri-Anne Payne, Elizabeth Simmonds, Amy Smith, Gemma Spofforth, Jessica Sylvester, Stacey Tadd, Rebecca Turner, Aimee Willmott, Katherine Wyld and Nova Centurion.
- Olympic and world champions among first lot of 29 England swimmers for CWG - Apr 23, 2010
- Rebecca Adlington seeks gold on her CWG debut - Oct 02, 2010
- CWG: 40 Brit swimmers hit by Delhi belly bug - Oct 07, 2010
- Pleasantly surprised Adlington hoping to nail England's first CWG medal - Oct 04, 2010
- Commonwealth Games 2010 Kicks Off - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG medals results, CWG Day Four - Oct 08, 2010
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Franklin backstrokes to 100-m gold - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- With the clouds gone, CWG competitions set to begin Monday - Oct 03, 2010
- India shoot up to second spot behind Australia (Games Roundup) - Oct 06, 2010
- Swimmers ready to break CWG medal jinx - Sep 22, 2010
- Australian Seebohm sets record in backstroke heats - Jul 29, 2012
- Oz swimming coach confident of beating England in CWG - Oct 03, 2010
- France's Muffat grabs 400m freestyle gold - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: 100m breaststroke, adam brown, adlington, amy smith, bronze medals, bushell, christopher walker, commonwealth games, daniel fogg, games england, gold medals, joanne jackson, john atkinson, liam tancock, qualification standards, rebecca turner, richard webb, simon burnett, willmott, wyld