England announce 23-man squad for Euro ChampionshipMay 16th, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 16 (IANS) England football manager Roy Hodgson named his 23-man squad for this summer’s trip to Poland and Ukraine for UEFA EURO 2012 Wednesday. Manchester United’s centre-back Rio Ferdinand was the surprise omission from the team.
Norwich City goalkeeper John Ruddy and Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain make their first appearance in the senior squad.
Meanwhile, Liverpool’s out-form striker Andy Carroll is selected as one of four strikers alongside Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck and Jermain Defoe, reported Xinhua.
There are two warm-up games before the tournament. England face Norway in Oslo for Hodgson’s first game in charge May 26 before they play Belgium at Wembley Stadium June 2 in preparation for the Finals.
The first game of the tournament is against France in Donetsk June 11.
Goalkeepers: Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea).
Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United).
Forwards: Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United) Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur).
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Capello leaves out Rio, Crouch from England squad - Aug 29, 2011
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Gerrard compares debutant Oxlade-Chamberlain with Rooney - Jun 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Rooney to play against Ukraine, says coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Sunderland striker Bent recalled to England squad - Nov 09, 2009
- Welbeck on wonder goal: I knew it was coming - Jun 16, 2012
- Rooney to start for England's final group match - Jun 19, 2012
- Defoe extends contract with Tottenham till 2015 - Aug 31, 2012
- Manchester United stay in hunt as Chelsea suffer setback - Dec 27, 2011
- England name squads for two remaining World Cup qualifiers - Oct 05, 2009
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Italy to meet Germany in semis after beating England (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Capello sends team doctor to check fitness of England players - May 05, 2010
Tags: ashley cole, euro championship, frank lampard, gary cahill, gerrard liverpool, james milner, jermain defoe, lampard chelsea, leighton baines, norwich city, rio ferdinand, roy hodgson, steven gerrard, theo walcott arsenal, tottenham hotspur, uefa euro 2012, warm up games, wayne rooney manchester united, wembley stadium, west ham united