Embarrassed Phelps weighing whether to compete in 2012 OlympicsFebruary 5th, 2009 - 11:34 am ICT by ANI
Baltimore, Feb 5 (ANI): Michael Phelps has confessed that hes embarrassed by the marijuana incident, and is weighing whether to take part in 2012 Olympics.
The pics published in Britain’’s News of the World, showing the eight times Olympic gold medallist using a bong, were taken in November at a University of South Carolina house party.
The 23-year-old star admits that he “clearly made a mistake,” and the past week has been both embarrassing and uncomfortable for him.
“It’’s definitely not what I wanted, and it’’s clearly not what my mom wanted,” The Baltimore Sun quoted Phelps, as saying.
The swimmer said that hes embarrassed by incident.
The intense scrutiny has forced to think whether to compete in 2012 Olympics. He said he’’s going to discuss it over with his family and his coach, Bob Bowman.
“This is a decision of mine that I”m not going to make today and I”m not going to make tomorrow,” Phelps said.
“It’’s going to require a lot of time and energy and a lot of thinking for myself. But also talking to Bob and talking to my family and just deciding what I want to do.
“Yeah, there are still goals that I have in the pool, 100 percent. But I”m not going to let anything stand in my way.
If I decide to walk away, I”ll decide to walk away on my own terms. If it’’s now, if it’’s four years, who knows. But it is something I need to think about and decide what I want to do,” he added. (ANI)
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Le Clos sends out warning to Phelps - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- De Villota crash shook team up, says Pic - Jul 14, 2012
- Rusty Phelps far from being invincible this summer, says coach - Dec 25, 2008
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- Lochte overtakes Phelps for gold in World Swimming Championships - Jul 26, 2011
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, baltimore sun, bob bowman, coach bob, eight times, gold medallist, hes, house party, intense scrutiny, marijuana, michael phelps, mistake, mom, news of the world, old star, olympic gold, olympics, pool, swimmer, university of south carolina