Eighth-wicket stand gives Windies women series winMay 7th, 2012 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
Port of Spain (Trinidad), May 7 (IANS/CMC) A valiant, unbroken 24-run, eighth wicket partnership between Shemaine Campbelle and Tremayne Smartt fired the West Indies women’s cricket team to a series-winning three-wicket win over Sri Lanka in the third Twenty20 International here.
Chasing 78 for victory after the game was reduced to 16 overs per side because of rain, West Indies found themselves tottering on the brink of defeat at 56 for seven in the 13th over Sunday.
However, Campbelle stroked a superb unbeaten 27 from 23 balls and Smartt got 12 from eight balls, as West Indies got home in the last over with five balls to spare.
The victory was the third straight for the hosts after they won the doubleheader at Kensington Oval in Barbados last week.
Winning the toss and batting, Sri Lanka got a top score of 22 not out from Deepika Rasangika as they reached 77 for eight.
They were pegged back by fast bowler Subrina Munroe (2-12), off-spinner Stafanie Taylor (2-16) and left-arm seamer Shanel Daley (2-17) all of whom took two wickets apiece.
Sri Lanka: 77 for eight off 16 overs (Deepika Rasangika 22 not out; Subrina Munroe 2-12, Stafanie Taylor 2-16, Shanel Daley 2-17)
West Indies: 80 for seven off 15.1 overs (Shemaine Campbelle 27 not out; Sripali Weerakkody 3-23, Chamani Seneviratne 2-8)
- Daley's all-round effort lifts Windies to series win - Apr 30, 2012
- Outstanding Taylor fires Windies to second straight win - May 03, 2012
- Sri Lankan women win second ODI - Apr 28, 2012
- Tame batting sends Windies women to three-wicket loss - Sep 02, 2011
- Daley shines again as West Indies win T20 opener - May 02, 2012
- Daley, Mohammed star in West Indies eves' win - Apr 26, 2012
- West Indies qualify for ICC Women's World cup - Nov 21, 2011
- Samuels, Bishoo, Kirk Edwards get WICB contracts - Oct 22, 2011
- Windies women's cricketer gets five-month ban - Nov 19, 2011
- Bishoo named Guyana's cricketer-of-the-year - Dec 18, 2011
- Pujara's 50 fails to stop West Indies from taking lead - Jun 11, 2012
- Windies beat Zimbabwe by six wickets to reach quarters - Aug 17, 2012
- India beat Sri Lanka to win Lawyers' World Cup - Aug 22, 2011
- No fallout expected from Windies loss: Gibson - Sep 14, 2012
- Scoreboard: West Indies A vs India A, Day 3 - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: barbados, brink, cricket team, doubleheader, eight balls, hosts, kensington, left arm, port of spain, port of spain trinidad, shanel, smartt, tremayne, twenty20 international, victory, vm, west indies, wicket partnership, wickets, women series