Egypt too good for India in U-21 Squash World CupFebruary 2nd, 2012 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 2 (IANS) Top seeded Egypt expectedly overcame No.4 ranked India 3-0 in the preliminary league of the WSF Under-21 World Cup team championship here on Thursday.
The powerful Egypt team, spearheaded by World junior champion and top ranked Marwan El Shorbagy, carried too much firepower for a reshuffled Indian team that rested their star player Dipika Pallikal and brought in teenager Anaka Alankamony.
The 18-year-old Shorbagy won the first singles in four games against an inspired Ravi Dixit. Though the outcome was never in doubt, Shorbagy had to stretch every sinew to get past Dixit, who managed to snatch the second game.
In the second singles, Nour El Sherbini put out the higher ranked Alankamony in three games. Alankamony, the Asian junior champion, is No.2 while Sherbini is at ranked fourth, but the numbers were irrelevant as the Egyptian was in a different league altogether.
With the tie decided, Karim Abdel Gawad survived a tentative start to rout Karan Malik in four games to give Egypt a 3-0 victory, their second in as many outings.
Elsewhere, second seeded England edged past No.3 France 2-1 as also Australia who lost the opening singles before scrambling to a 2-1 win against lower ranked Germany.
Pool A: 1-Egypt bt 4-India 3-0 (Marwan El Shorbagy bt Ravi Dixit 11-7, 6-11, 11-4, 12-10; Nour El Sherbini bt Anaka Alankamony 11-6, 11-3, 11-7; Karim Abdel Gawad bt Karan Malik 3-11, 11-9, 11-0, 11-3).
5-Australia bt 8-Germany 2-1 (Jamie McErvalie lost to Rudi Rohrmuller 10-12, 12-10, 3-11, 8-11; Sarah Cardwell bt Annika Wiese 11-6, 11-7, 11-4; Walter Kofeka bt Sven Lammermann 13-11, 11-9, 11-0).
Pool B: 2-England bt 3-France 2-1 (Charles Sharpes lost to Lucas Serme 8-11, 5-11, 4-11; Emily Whitlock bt Cyrielle Peltier 11-4, 11-1, 11-9; Ben Coleman bt Geoffrey Demont 11-8, 11-8, 11-8).
6-Hong Kong bt 7-Malaysia 2-1 (Yueng Ho Wai bt Affeeq Aeefeen 11-5, 6-11, 11-9, 11-4; Tong Tsz-Wing bt Tan Yan Xin 11-6, 6-11, 11-8, 11-4; Wong Chi Him lost to Sanjay Singh 11-5, 6-11, 11-6, 10-12, 6-11).
- Egypt beat India in squash World Cup final - Feb 05, 2012
- WSF Squash: India to meet Egypt in final - Feb 04, 2012
- Indian girls finish fourth in World junior squash - Jul 31, 2011
- Dipika in semis; Anaka bows out - Jun 28, 2010
- India go down fighting to England in World Cup squash - Mar 08, 2011
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- India in tough pool for U-21 Squash World Cup - Jan 29, 2012
- World Junior Squash - Anaka in round of 16 - Jul 22, 2011
- National Squash championship: Malik ousts Jangra - Dec 08, 2011
- Inter-Institutional TT: Manika, Shamini, Mouma lose - Aug 26, 2012
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- World Squash: India go down to Egypt in semis - Jul 17, 2012
- Tamil Nadu pick up two titles in junior national squash - Nov 02, 2010
- Hei survives a scare in Indian Open junior squash - Aug 30, 2012
- Ashita puts out second seed Akanksha in Indian Open squash - Sep 08, 2011
Tags: anaka, demont, firepower, four games, france 2, karim, marwan, peltier, ravi dixit, rout, sarah cardwell, second game, sharpes, sinew, star player, three games, tsz, world junior champion, wsf, yan xin