Egypt stun Italy, Brazil down US in Confederations Cup

June 19th, 2009 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS  

Johannesburg, June 19 (DPA) World champions Italy slid to a shock 1-0 defeat to Egypt while Brazil cruised to a 3-0 win over the United States in football’s Confederations Cup Thursday.
The results set up a thrilling finale to Group B Sunday when Italy take on Brazil, while Egypt play the United States.

Five-time world champions Brazil remain favourites to join European champions Spain in the last four, with even a defeat against Italy possible.

Brazil, who defeated Egypt three days ago, have six points, while Italy and Egypt are on three apiece and the US are without a point

Italy will go out if they fail to beat five-time world champions Brazil and Egypt defeat the United States.

Mohammed Hamos rose unmarked to head in from a corner from Mohammed Aboutrika five minutes before half-time for a famous victory for the African champions.

Italy created little in the first half, but had a series of chances after the break to level only to be foiled repeatedly by keeper Essam El Hadary.

In Pretoria, Brazil breezed to 3-0 victory over the United States thanks to goals from Felipe Melo in the seventh minute, Robinho in the 20th and Maicon in the 62nd.

As in the 3-1 defeat to Italy, the US had a man sent off when Sacha Kljestan was shown the red card in the 57th minute for slicing down Ramirez.

The tournament continues Saturday when Spain play hosts South Africa, while Iraq meet New Zealand in Group A.

Meanwhile Joseph Blatter, the president of football’s controlling body FIFA, said the fourth official would no longer have access to television monitors.

Egyptian officials had claimed that referee Howard Webb was told by the fourth official during Monday’s Group B match between Egypt and Brazil that an Egyptian player had handled the ball on the line and that he had used a television monitor to come to the conclusion.

Blatter said that no television monitor had been used to reach a decision in the game.

“That notwithstanding, television monitors will no longer be available to the fourth official. This was the case in Wednesday’s matches and will be the case from now on,” he said.

He said that he continued to be against the use of video evidence during the game.

Blatter said that he was very happy with the organization of the tournament.

“The feedback we have had from the eight participating teams has been very complimentary. They are very happy with the way they are being treated,” he said.

On the question of the vuvuzelas (plastic trumpets), which have been criticised by some for being too loud, Blatter said that he can’t see how a local flavour like that could be banned.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe