Edwards eyeing return to top flight cricketMay 9th, 2011 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Georgetown (Guyana), May 9 (IANS) West Indies fast bowler Fidel Edwards is looking to make a successful comeback to international cricket after being sidelined with a back injury for close to two years.
The fiery 29-year-old was last week invited to participate in a two-day practice match prior to the first Digicel Test match against Pakistan at the Guyana National Stadium.
Edwards made an impressive return for Barbados earlier this year in the WICB regional four-day tournament taking 22 wickets in six outings. Edwards could be seen in action in the first Test against Pakistan, starting Thursday.
“I’m very happy to be back. I spent a long time out but I have made a full recovery and my body is ready to play five-day cricket again. I did a lot of good work with my trainer and the physio in Barbados and they were tremendous help to me,” he said.
“I felt I bowled well for Barbados and that helped me. I spent some time at the camp in Barbados before the series started and I felt comfortable. I did some work with the Head Coach (Ottis Gibson) during the camp and things have been going smoothly.”
“I’m really looking ahead to what is upcoming. This series against Pakistan is a good place to start. I’m focussed and I’m looking to stay fit and strong. I’m looking to get wickets and help the West Indies to success. There is a lot to play for and I’m looking forward.”
Edwards last played an international match in mid-2009. In 43 Test matches, he has taken 122 wickets with best figures of 7-87 against New Zealand in Napier.
“I have some goals I’m looking to achieve and one thing is to help the team win and move back up the ladder. This is vitally important to the team overall and to the supporters of West Indies cricket.”
- Desmond Haynes roped in as West Indies batting consultant - Apr 19, 2011
- Rampaul hopeful of victory in first Test against Pakistan - May 15, 2011
- West Indies on right track: Head coach Gibson - Aug 10, 2012
- We have to restrict Pakistan to less than 250: Rampaul - May 21, 2011
- I am still hungry for success: Chanderpaul - Jul 07, 2011
- I want to bowl with consistency: Edwards - Jul 05, 2011
- New faces in West Indies T20 team want to prove themselves - Apr 13, 2011
- Surprise call for Mathurin in West Indies squad - Sep 19, 2011
- Webster to boost West Indies morale ahead of second Test - Jun 27, 2011
- Sammy credits team for victory against Pakistan - May 16, 2011
- Samuels strokes half-century on Test return - May 22, 2011
- Fletcher hails West Indies improvement under Gibson - Jul 13, 2011
- No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for India - Nov 01, 2011
- Guyana president slams move to play T20s in Florida - Jul 06, 2012
- Sammy clear about bowling role in West Indies side - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: back injury, barbados, digicel, fidel edwards, first test, georgetown guyana, gibson, head coach, impressive return, international cricket, ladder, long time, napier, pakistan, physio, play five, test match, top flight, west indies cricket, wickets