Edberg backs Murray to bag number of Grand Slam titlesJune 8th, 2009 - 1:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 8 (ANI): England’s No.1 tennis player Andy Murray has been tipped to bag a number of Major titles.
The world No. 3 begins his grass-court season at the newly named Aegon Championships, which begin at Queen’s Club in London today.
Former Wimbledon champion Stefan Edberg, who will star at the Masters Tennis at the Royal Albert Hall in December, insisted: “Murray could win all of the Grand Slam titles out there.
“The clay courts and the French Open will be the toughest for him - but he could still do it. The Australian Open, the US Open and Wimbledon, especially with the home-crowd, are all definitely possible for Murray,” The Sun quoted Edberg, as saying.
“It is now about winning one of them and, once he has done that, he will be able to win more. You have to crack it first. Getting the first one is the hard bit for someone like Andy, he just needs a bit of luck.
“It’s like Ivan Lendl. He was in his seventh year as a professional before he finally won a Grand Slam title and he lost in four Slam finals before he cracked it. When he finally won one, it was the start for him,” Edberg said.
“Lendl went on to win seven more Grand Slam titles, eight in total - even more than McEnroe - and become world No1. I think Andy Murray could do the same thing,” he added. (ANI)
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- Berdych knocks out Murray, meets Federer in semis, Djokovic pulls out - Nov 12, 2011
- McEnroe's ghostly image appears in cloud formation in Bristol - Oct 02, 2010
- McEnroe tips Andy Murray to win Australian Open - Jan 16, 2010
- Henman backs Murray to win Wimbledon - May 20, 2010
- Borg says Murray will win US Open - Aug 25, 2010
- Nadal faces huge battle to complete career Grand Slam at US Open - Jul 06, 2010
- US title takes Murray to World No 3 - Sep 11, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- 'Scud' Philippoussis wants another shot at playing top flight tennis - Oct 25, 2010
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Federer out of top three for the first time since 2003 - Oct 17, 2011
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Murray should focus on winning first Grand Slam title: Borg - Jul 04, 2010
Tags: aegon, andy murray, australian open, champion, clay courts, french open, grand slam title, grand slam titles, grass court, home crowd, ivan lendl, masters tennis, mcenroe, queen, royal albert hall, slam finals, stefan edberg, tennis player, wimbledon, world no1