ECB fines Kevin Pietersen for Twitter outburstMay 24th, 2012 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 24 (IANS) England’s star batsman and former captain Kevin Pietersen was fined by the team management for his Twitter outburst against ex-cricketer and Sky commentator Nick Knight, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said.
The ECB statement Wednesday night said that the Pietersen’s comments were deemed “to be prejudicial to the interests of the ECB and a breach of the England player conditions of employment in relation to clauses regarding public statements”.
While Pietersen was fined an “undisclosed sum”, other England players were warned about their future conduct on social networking websites.
Last week, Pietersen, on social networking site Twitter, questioned the credentials of Knight, who averaged just 23.96 in 17 Tests with one hundred, and as a Test match commentator for Sky Sports.
“Can someone please tell me how Nick Knight has worked his way into the commentary box for the Tests? Ridiculous,” said Pietersen, who has 19 Test hundreds to his credit.
Knight will not be on the Sky commentary panel this week but this has nothing to do with the Pietersen incident.
Hugh Morris, the England managing director,along with team director Andy Flower, the head coach, addressed the team to “reinforce policy on the use of social networking”.
Pietersen was also fined by England’s management for his rant against the selectors two years ago.
- ECB to crack down on players "overstepping the mark" on Twitter - Sep 13, 2010
- Pietersen asked to be careful about his tweets - Dec 11, 2010
- Pietersen left out of England Test squad for India tour - Sep 18, 2012
- Kevin Pietersen retires from ODIs and T20s - May 31, 2012
- Players, officials pay tributes to Dilley - Oct 06, 2011
- Flower-Strauss partnership key to England's success: Morris - Aug 08, 2011
- Kevin Pietersen ruled out of World Cup - Mar 07, 2011
- Pietersen, Swann leading campaign to stop players being banned from Twitter - Aug 25, 2010
- Pietersen to ECB: Let me play full IPL or else... - Aug 08, 2012
- ECB suspends Mascarenhas for 14 days for 'foul' Tweet - Sep 16, 2010
- England captain Strauss retires from professional cricket - Aug 29, 2012
- Jayawardene, Pietersen join Delhi Daredevils - Apr 08, 2012
- Pietersen labels Adelaide groundsmen "pathetic - Dec 02, 2010
- Pietersen to feature in World T20 as commentator - Aug 24, 2012
- Pietersen out with injury, Morgan is replacement (Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: andy flower, conditions of employment, cricketer, ecb, england and wales cricket board, england player, england players, head coach, kevin pietersen, nick knight, public statements, sky sports, social networking site, star batsman, team director, team management, test hundreds, test match, undisclosed sum, wales cricket board