ECB convicts Kaneria of spot-fixingJune 22nd, 2012 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 22 (IANS) Pakistani leg-spinner Danish Kaneria has been convicted by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) of introducing his “young and vulnerable” Essex teammate Mervyn Westfield to bookmakers and bringing the game into disrepute.
The ECB, which Friday releases the findings of its three-man panel, said Kaneria introduced Westfield to an Asian bookmaker identified as Anu Bhatt and forced him into accepting money to under-perform. Westfield was also forced to recruit other young cricketers from the Essex for spot fixing.
The ECB Disciplinary Panel announced that Kaneria has been found guilty of two charges under the ECB’s regulations following a contested hearing which commenced in London on Monday June 18.
Westfield was also charged with one offence under the ECB’s regulations to which he pleaded guilty.
The panel will now consider the appropriate sanction against both players and a decision is expected to be announced later in the day.
The Daily Telegraph reported that Westfield had pleaded guilty to one charge of corruption - he accepted 6000 pounds to underperform in a CB 40 match against Middlesex - and their punishments are expected to be announced later today once mitigation has been taken into account.
Westfield had pleaded guilty to corruption charges at the Old Bailey earlier this year and had served half of a four month prison sentence.
Kaneria was also arrested at the same time as Westfield but he was released due to a lack of evidence.
- ICC calls for worldwide life ban on Kaneria, Westfield - Jun 27, 2012
- PCB to co-operate with ECB on Kaneria's role - Feb 18, 2012
- Danish Kaneria cleared of spot-fixing charges - Jun 05, 2012
- Kaneria not cleared, say ICC and PCB - Feb 20, 2012
- Kaneria's participation in Pak's tour of England ICC's concern: ECB - Jun 06, 2010
- PCB rejects Kaneria's plea - May 18, 2011
- Kaneria named in Westfield cricket scam - Feb 17, 2012
- Pakistani cricketer Kaneria held for match fixing - May 16, 2010
- Kaneria arrested on spot-fixing charges - May 15, 2010
- Kaneria challenges ECB's county ban - Jun 05, 2010
- Kaneria, Westfield likely to be suspended from Essex during match-fixing probe - Jun 02, 2010
- Essex police clears Kaneria of betting charges - Sep 08, 2010
- ICC to probe county match-fixing charges - Mar 11, 2012
- Kaneria frustrated over delay in court hearing - Sep 27, 2011
- Kaneria wants justice from PCB - May 04, 2011
Tags: bookmaker, corruption charges, cricketers, daily telegraph, danish kaneria, disciplinary panel, disrepute, england and wales cricket board, essex, lack of evidence, middlesex, mitigation, offence, old bailey, prison sentence, punishments, sanction, teammate, wales cricket board, westfield