Easy wins for Advani, Chandra in ASCA invitational snookerSeptember 15th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 15 (IANS) Title favourites Pankaj Advani and Manan Chandra displayed top form in winning their opening league matches comfortably to kick-start the Rs.375,000 Alliance Group - ASCA invitational snooker tournament here Monday. Manan, who along with Pankaj will be representing India at the IBSF world championship in Austria next month, eased past Prem Prakash 3-0 with a breaks of 98 in the first frame and 54 in the second.
The Delhi-based cueist missed out on a century as he could not gain position on the last red that was stuck on the cushion.
The day began with Advani blanking Varun Kumar 3-0 aided by breaks of 80 in the first and 63 in the second.
“I am playing quite well now, although I wouldn’t mind some rest after having played the World billiards in Bangalore earlier this week, followed by the two-day selection trials for the World championship over the weekend. But I wanted to keep my commitment here as I had agreed to play well in advance,” Pankaj told IANS.
Meanwhile, veteran Geet Sethi, looked in fluent touch as he brushed aside Vijay Nichani 3-0, a break of 63 being the highlight.
Later, India No.4 Sourav Kothari knocked in a 90 break while defeating Sunil Mathews 3-0.
In another notable result, 25-year old R. Karthik defeated S.A. Saleem, a former top ranked national player, 3-1.
Karthik did well to fight his way back after dropping the first frame in a match that fleetingly witnessed Saleem’s potting ability that not long ago had seen him win several national-level titles.
Group A: Pankaj Advani bt Varun Kumar 3-0; Varun Kumar bt Nadeem Ahmed 3-1.
Group B: Manan Chandra bt Prem Prakash 3-0.
Group C: Sourav Kothari bt Sunil Mathews 3-0.
Group E: Harpreet Singh bt S.N. Dwarak 3-0.
Group F: Geet Sethi bt Vijay Nichani 3-0; Rafath Habib bt Vijay Nichani 3-1.
Group G: R. Karthik bt S.A. Saleem 3-1.
Group H: Pranit bt Neeraj Kumar 3-1.
- Sethi, Advani, Alok advance in senior national billiards - Jul 28, 2011
- Chopra joins centurions list in National Snooker - Feb 01, 2012
- Mehta sparkles with 134 break at National snooker - Jan 31, 2012
- Anna Snooker: Damani cracks 116 break - Dec 17, 2011
- Easy win for Alok Kumar in national snooker - Aug 05, 2011
- Easy for fancied players in National Billiards - Jul 26, 2011
- Mehta eases into semis of National Snooker Championship - Feb 03, 2012
- Meenal, Arantxa in National Billiards Final - Jan 25, 2012
- Advani leads way into pre-quarters of National Snooker - Feb 02, 2012
- Sethi leads way into last 16 of snooker tournament - Dec 20, 2009
- Alok through to pre-quarters of All India Snooker - Jan 20, 2010
- Billiards: Pankaj Advani to meet Geet Sethi in semi-final (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Centuries galore in Matrix snooker - Dec 22, 2009
- National Snooker: All qualifiers make knock-out stage (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Renthlei wins maiden snooker title for Mizoram - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: alliance group, bangalore, geet sethi, habib, harpreet singh, karthik, manan chandra, match, mathews, nadeem ahmed, neeraj, pankaj advani, prem prakash, results group, saleem, selection trials, snooker, sourav, varun, world billiards