Easy win for Spain against Saudi ArabiaSeptember 8th, 2012 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 8 (IANS) Reigning World and European Champions Spain enjoyed a comfortable 5-0 win over Saudi Arabia in a friendly.
The Spanish totally outplayed a Saudi side Friday that looked to play good football but had little answer to the attacking threat posed by the Spaniards, who delighted the packed stands in Pontevedra, reports Xinhua.
The match allowed Spain coach Vicente del Bosque to rest first choice players while allowing others to gain experience ahead of their World Cup qualifying campaign which begins in Georgia next Tuesday.
Fernando Torres wore the captain’s armband in a much changed Spanish side in which Benat Etxebarria, Cesc Fabrigas and Nacho Monreal were all given starts by Spain coach Vicente del Bosque.
Saudi Arabia coach Frank Rijkaard showed his knowledge of the Spanish game as he pushed his side forward to stop Spain from playing the game out from the back, but his side’s advances allowed Spain to try and hit the ball behind them.
Santi Cazorla opened the scoring after 22 minutes following a shot from Pedro Rodriguez, while Pedro scored the second seven minutes later after latching into a smart through ball that split the visitors’ defence.
It could have been 3-0 but Cazorla saw his shot bounce back off the crossbar five minutes from the break.
Xavi Hernandez, who Wednesday was named as joint Principe de Asturias prize winner along with Iker Casillas, came into the game at halftime and added the third almost directly with a free kick while David, who returned to the Spain side after injury, made it 4-0 from the penalty spot after a foul on Monreal.
It was his 52nd goal for his country, but his first since breaking his leg last December.
Spain were totally on top and Pedro confirmed his early season form with his second goal of the night 17 minutes from time to make it 5-0.
It was an easy win, but players such as Benat would have gained a great deal of confidence from their displays.
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Spain to face Saudi Arabia in World Cup warm-up - Sep 06, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Last chance for fringe players as Spain face Serbia - May 25, 2012
- Spain prepare for Euro defence with China game - Jun 02, 2012
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Alba lone new face in Spain's squad for Euro 2012 qualifiers - Sep 30, 2011
- The road to Brazil begins in Georgia: Del Bosque - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: casillas, cazorla, coach frank, european champions, fabrigas, fernando torres, frank rijkaard, free kick, nacho, pedro rodriguez, playing the game, pontevedra, prize winner, santi, saudi arabia, spaniards, spanish game, spanish side, vicente del bosque, xinhua