East Bengal, Mohun Bagan finish 1-1 in I-LeagueFebruary 4th, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 4 (IANS) East Bengal failed to hold on to a opening half lead and finished 1-1 with arch-rivals Mohun Bagan in a I-League football match here Saturday.
Playing before a crowd of 60,000 at the Salt Lake stadium, Robin Singh netted in the 33rd minute for East Bengal but Mohun Bagan’s lethal striker Odafa Okolie restored parity post breather.
East Bengal dominated the first session, testing the rival defenders constantly with a series of incisive move.
The red and gold brigade went ahead in the 33rd minute when Robin Singh beat the offside trap laid by Bagan rearguards and slotted home past custodian Sangram Mukherjee.
Mohun Bagan upped the ante in the second session and struck soon as the Nigerian Odafa dribbled past East Bengal’s Mehatab Hussain and let loose a right footer that went in.
With 35 points in the kitty, East Bengal are placed second, a rung above Mohun Bagan. The green and maroon are on 34 points. Goa’s Dempo Sports Club lead the table gleaning 40 points.
East Bengal looked dangerous in the attacking zone, where Tolgey Ozbey and Robin Singh did well. They created a numerous chances as Penn Orji and Robert Lalthalma shone in the midfield, giving adequate support to the duo up front.
Mohun Bagan had a close look at the opponent’s goal in the tenth minute when Sunil Chetri went on a fast counter, but could not convert the chance into a goal.
With the teams tied 1-1, Mohun Bagan technical director Subrata Bhattacharya brought in old Brazilian war horse Jose Ramerez Barreto in the 56th minute. Barreto’s arrival bolstered the side’s performance, but he was forced out after only 17 minutes following a collision with Mehtab.
East Bengal came back in the bout creating chances in the last quarter of the game.
The players and officials observed a minute’s silence before the start of the game in memory of the 74 football supporters who died in Egypt, Tuesday.
Up to 1,000 were injured in the Egyptian city of Port Said following clashes and a stampede that broke out after fans rushed to the field after their home team from Port Said, Al-Masry, defeated Al-Ahly, one of Egypt’s top clubs from Cairo, 3-1.
- Mohun Bagan get past East Bengal 1-0 in I-league - Nov 21, 2011
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- Odafa rescues Mohun Bagan again in I-League - Feb 11, 2012
- Prayag United, Mumbai FC shock rivals - Nov 23, 2011
- I-League: Dempo hold Mohun Bagan - Apr 01, 2012
- East Bengal in IFA Shield final - Mar 13, 2012
- Federation Cup: Mohun Bagan bow out, Wahingdoh upset Churchill - Sep 20, 2011
- I-League: Mohun Bagan thrash Shillong Lajong - Apr 10, 2012
- I-League: East Bengal beat Salgaocar 1-0 - Mar 25, 2012
- I-League: Barreto scores in his swansong as Bagan blank Pune FC - May 06, 2012
- I-League: HAL hold Mohun Bagan to a goalless draw - Apr 06, 2012
- East Bengal face Mohun Bagan in I-League's Kolkata derby - Feb 03, 2012
- Salgaocar lift Federation Cup (Lead) - Sep 29, 2011
- East Bengal in Fed Cup semifinals - Sep 21, 2011
- Federation Cup: Wahingdoh shock Mohun Bagan - Sep 18, 2011
Tags: adequate support, arch rivals, dempo sports club, east bengal, egyptian city, football supporters, gold brigade, hussain, kolkata, league football, mehtab, midfield, mohun bagan, offside trap, orji, ramerez, robin singh, second session, technical director, war horse